Classic Neopets Remakes

judda

Lots of the pet sites that we have today stem from Neopets, either people started their "pet site career" there, or on a site inspired by what Neopets has done.

Recently, I found two new projects that are being built (with Patreon supporters) which I find really interesting.  They are rebuilding the Classic Neopets site.  They are:

I'm very curious though if Neopets would just shut them down because it's a direct copy of their old site.

What do you think about these clones?

There has been a lot of 'classic' hosted sites for plenty of online games. Toontown and ClubPenguin comes to mind; however, none of which are seeking out to make money from either. Which is why I don't think either have been taken down. So I believe the same will go for these classic neopet sites. Modern Neopets seems to have a Patreon though, and while I understand it cost money to keep sites up, I don't think that would fly.

I really love the idea though of having these sites around as a sort of Archive, I do miss those days and its obvious a lot of other people have.

I actually had the joy of meeting the owner of moderneo and got to hear some of their ideas. Originally I thought the site would be merely a 'clone' but it seems they're going to be expanding beyond that and continuing some features of neopets that were discontinued. In that way, I think it'll be more of a 'what if neopets took this route' sort of deal. I don't want to say anything too specific because I don't know exactly what's being kept under wraps but I think it's interesting to see where that goes. And, if nothing as, as someone who still plays neopets it'll be nice to have a backup for my current pets/petpages and (presumably) be able to write things more thoroughly without words like "uncle" being blocked by filters lol!

I haven't delved much into neopetsclassic, but I think that's the more well known of the two probably?

Genuinely it's nice to enjoy the nostalgia of these sites. My only hope is that they're able to assign specific artists to pet art because the community contributions method always turns out so messy and chaotic. Not sure how things will turn out with them running Patreon but I wish both teams luck in their endeavors!

22 hours ago, dracula said:

I actually had the joy of meeting the owner of moderneo and got to hear some of their ideas. Originally I thought the site would be merely a 'clone' but it seems they're going to be expanding beyond that and continuing some features of neopets that were discontinued. In that way, I think it'll be more of a 'what if neopets took this route' sort of deal. I don't want to say anything too specific because I don't know exactly what's being kept under wraps but I think it's interesting to see where that goes. And, if nothing as, as someone who still plays neopets it'll be nice to have a backup for my current pets/petpages and (presumably) be able to write things more thoroughly without words like "uncle" being blocked by filters lol!

I haven't delved much into neopetsclassic, but I think that's the more well known of the two probably?

Genuinely it's nice to enjoy the nostalgia of these sites. My only hope is that they're able to assign specific artists to pet art because the community contributions method always turns out so messy and chaotic. Not sure how things will turn out with them running Patreon but I wish both teams luck in their endeavors!

Oooh - exciting! I can't wait to see where they take it, and hope that one day they release it to more than just Patreons *crosses fingers*.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/28/2021 at 4:45 PM, dracula said:

Aww thank you for the kind words! ❤️

Yeah Patreon is a risk but with the amount of time and effort put into it having the support helps.

That and the server bills, the sudden growth means I have to keep upgrading the servers lol.

On 8/29/2021 at 2:48 PM, judda said:

Oooh - exciting! I can't wait to see where they take it, and hope that one day they release it to more than just Patreons *crosses fingers*.

You can hop onto our discord server (link is on our site, not sure about the rules of linking here) to check up the updates and keep in the know, and don't worry - we have applications. Right now it's every 4 months as we want to slowly grow (instead of massive leaps) but it may become more frequent soon. The next sign up date is the 15th of December and when you visit the site that day it will show a button to link you to the application form to join.

Also, if you're really interested and what to see what we have to offer, if you hop on the discord and message me I can give you an invite link to join our test server. Though the experience isn't fully the same - it'll give you a general feel of the site to see if it's worth applying/supporting. ❤️

Edited by Hazer
Entered post too early.

12 hours ago, Hazer said:

Aww thank you for the kind words! ❤️

Yeah Patreon is a risk but with the amount of time and effort put into it having the support helps.

That and the server bills, the sudden growth means I have to keep upgrading the servers lol.

You can hop onto our discord server (link is on our site, not sure about the rules of linking here) to check up the updates and keep in the know, and don't worry - we have applications. Right now it's every 4 months as we want to slowly grow (instead of massive leaps) but it may become more frequent soon. The next sign up date is the 15th of December and when you visit the site that day it will show a button to link you to the application form to join.

Also, if you're really interested and what to see what we have to offer, if you hop on the discord and message me I can give you an invite link to join our test server. Though the experience isn't fully the same - it'll give you a general feel of the site to see if it's worth applying/supporting. ❤️

I'm already on the discord server :) I applied the last time applications came around but unfortunately didn't get picked, but that's luck of the draw :D I'm really looking forward to seeing where this can go!

And yea, I completely understand the value in doing the Patreon, development is not easy and it takes dedication and the desire, and to be just you doing stuff and it not bringing in any money is rough mentally! I know that from experience :P 

On 10/14/2021 at 1:37 PM, judda said:

I'm already on the discord server :) I applied the last time applications came around but unfortunately didn't get picked, but that's luck of the draw :D I'm really looking forward to seeing where this can go!

And yea, I completely understand the value in doing the Patreon, development is not easy and it takes dedication and the desire, and to be just you doing stuff and it not bringing in any money is rough mentally! I know that from experience :P 

Oh really? I accepted every single application the first wave. Though apparently some applications didn't go through. >-<