What are you currently experiencing during your game's development?

This question can be for a launched game, as well as those who are in development, but I wanted to reach out and ask what I think is a question that isn't asked very much, but very important to be asked, and that is:

What are you currently experiencing right now in your game's development/growth?

I think sometimes in the pressure to deliver we don't stop as developers and designers to ask ourselves the most important question, and that is... how do I feel about everything so far? What are my fears? Am I excited? Am I exhausted? Am I tired?

So, how are you feeling?

@Pepper-Head @Anoua @judda @runeowl @Hare @hurricaneviolet @Bedouin

Well, I don't think games ever really stop developing, but it's a whole different beast once they are launched.

Right now with HP, we just put in a new major feature and now the bugs are getting worked out. So I'm excited! I'm happy to have some major development done after a long lull in being able to put out anything big, and I've got plans for the future as far as that goes, so that is exciting as well!

We've also been growing recently so that's also exciting!

But being self employed is always terrifying. Which I think is more a launched-game fear than an in-development game fear. There's constant concern because there isn't an automatically built-in safety net if things go wrong. If you're an employee, you can qualify for unemployment if you lose your job because your employer has been paying into it on your behalf while you've been working. If you're self employed, you only have your own savings account if something goes wrong. At least that's how it works where I live, maybe it's different in other places. So I think that's a constant undercurrent of worry with these games that no one talks about, haha.

As for my games which are truly in development, they are currently stalled. I've moved beyond frustration/annoyance with them, and now I'm just a little complacent. HP takes priority, and eventually the other games will move forward. Or they won't. But hopefully they will.

2 hours ago, Nova said:

Honestly? Fear. Fear that it won't be good enough, fear that the audience won't respond well to it. Fear that after all the work I put into it, it would seem like it was for nothing. 

Fear is a wonderful motivator as well as being able to stop you cold. We are cheering for you @Nova ??

For me it is rapid growth. Up until March(ish) I was coding it on and off. My typical night would see me playing Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 - Search and Destroy. Each time I died I had to wait for the round to end, so during that 2-3 minutes I would do a little coding here and there.

Since March however, I've been waaay more dedicated to my game than last year and I'm eager to open it. My biggest issue which I have accepted is that I am going to open it later this year with only a taste of all the planned content I am going to add to it - my worry is that people will thing it is dull and boring purely because it isnt complete yet :-/

14 hours ago, Digital said:

Fear is a wonderful motivator as well as being able to stop you cold. We are cheering for you @Nova ??

It's kind of in the middle ground for me right now. There are moments when I'm so demotivated that I just sit there and stare at the screen. And then I try to push myself by posting about the game; this scares me into working because I feel like that way people are expecting a result. Thank you so much :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about 2/3 of the way done with completely redoing the 100 or so layers on about 60 different artworks. This process has been taking about a year, which has slowed down development. It's extremely tedious and I'm eager to finish. I'm close to being done with it, though! There's a few other daunting tasks ahead, but not as bad as this relayering thing. =D It'll be worth it all in the end.

1 hour ago, Hare said:

There's a few other daunting tasks ahead, but not as bad as this relayering thing. =D It'll be worth it all in the end.

Wow, that is a lot of re-layering, impressive! I can see how it has taken a long time. Keep it up, as the results will probably be great!

5 minutes ago, Digital said:

Wow, that is a lot of re-layering, impressive! I can see how it has taken a long time. Keep it up, as the results will probably be great!

Thank you! I wish I hd known how to use Imagemagick back then. It was what I originally wanted for the site. But we shall have it! 

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2017 at 9:23 AM, Hare said:

Thank you! I wish I hd known how to use Imagemagick back then. It was what I originally wanted for the site. But we shall have it! 

@Hare: For me I have say a bit of frustration and excitement. What I do know of imagemagick is that is a bit of a tricky tool to get setup on Ruby on Rails. However once you do then you can change the size of an image. My recomendations is to make your images 200 by 200 for pets. At least 200 by 300 for profile avatars is good. For small avatars you might want a different size. Try not to make your comment avatars too big. Any recommendation on item size?

I don't even know if my game would qualify for this site in any way, but I'm on term break from college, and I've decided to revisit an old rpg that I began a long time ago which feature dragons.  It's neither a pet game, nor a sim, at least not a sim in the sense where you are simulating a wolf pack or horse farm or that sort of thing.  You are a dragon though, and you quest and level up as a dragon, and either fight or interact with humans.  My old version was built on a very old game engine (not written by me), and I've taken on the task of updating it to work with php 5.6 and to use mysqli.  I've also been adding security features that I feel are necessary in today's internet.  I haven't even started putting in content, just working on updating the engine and updating mods for the engine.  I will be revamping my art for it too, so I have a lot to do, but so far I've been getting something done almost everyday.  

• 1 month later...

Recently I've been pretty motivated to program and develop ideas for my games, though Eliyo has seen the most fruit so far, but I have a bigger update for Animal Acres in the works.

My time is limited unforunately so I do have to balance between a full time job and general life too. But it's been good and exciting to make progress. I think what has helped the most has been my husband taking on a more with them, and just being a player and motivator which helps me stay focus on the goals and someone to finalize ideas with, which is a huge help. Some programming is challenging, but for money tasks it's not that so much as just figuring out all the details. So that's been great.

Also planning to get some more done for Wild Howlz too, the latest explore progress was coming along well and want to get to battling more. That's not my game, but it's a cool concept and it'll be great to bring it to life. :)

Edited by Anoua

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

oh boy what a loaded question.....

from people disappearing and then later quitting, to the co-owner of tremder being missing in action and she does the wolf art. It's left me having to find artists who can style match, and other artists who are doing holder art till we can get better stuff paid for. It's going to leave me to make some very hard choices at the end of the year, but we'll see.

On 11/12/2017 at 4:43 AM, Mortain said:

oh boy what a loaded question.....

from people disappearing and then later quitting, to the co-owner of tremder being missing in action and she does the wolf art. It's left me having to find artists who can style match, and other artists who are doing holder art till we can get better stuff paid for. It's going to leave me to make some very hard choices at the end of the year, but we'll see.

This does sound like a difficult situation. I wish you luck and a better year!

On 10/19/2017 at 7:46 PM, SilverBrick said:

I am playing with a battle system which i am developing with http://lance.gg and node.js and using css3 and other things for animation hehehe

Sounds very interesting, how is it going?