Sites or resources you found useful when learning digital art?

Digital

There are thousands of tutorials across the internet, all with varying opinions on what you should and shouldn't do along with many stylistic choices. A lot of it is neat, but doesn't really stick for me. I find tutorial sources that are more like mentors or have frequent tutorials/courses to be the most helpful.

I treat myself to TamberElla's $5 Patreon reward which gives 2 tutorials, PSDs, and now a guaranteed brush kit each month. If I remember right, she went to RISD and left because she was capable of teaching herself. I feel a lot of her tutorials echo and support what I'm learning at SCAD (which has been the most helpful to me, by far)

I also bought lifetime access to Digital Painting Academy when it first launched and was on super sale! It has foundation courses and worksheets, monthly tutorials, and frequent workshops. I haven't actually had much time to delve into it like I want, but I think it'd be good for foundations and especially realistic rendering of portraits. Though I'd recommend trying it out for a month first!

Sometimes the best teacher is yourself though! You can learn so much by doing master copies and studies! I recently started speedpainting and did these in 10 mins each. I learned a LOT about atmosphere, vibrancy, and especially how color can affect all areas of paintings. (Something photographs have a hard time capturing.) 

image.thumb.png.86767f582f70ff1c4ef958249edaf696.png

Edited by Pepper-Head
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1