What is your art program of choice?

Digital

I use a combination of Photoshop and Illustrator on most of the stuff I draw. I like Illustrator for the vectors, it makes lining a lot easier than in Photoshop. I prefer Photoshop for sketching because of the way pixels fade into the background (makes it easier for me to sketch out shapes personally). 

I chose Adobe programs because that's all I know. Had a Photoshop class when I was 12 and have been using them ever since.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hare said:

I like Illustrator for the vectors, it makes lining a lot easier than in Photoshop. I prefer Photoshop for sketching because of the way pixels fade into the background (makes it easier for me to sketch out shapes personally). 

So, you sketch it out in Photoshop, then do the final lines in Illustrator? Why'd I never think of that one? (To be honest - I feel lost most of the time in Adobe products. I know enough to get in trouble on a good day) :)

31 minutes ago, Digital said:

So, you sketch it out in Photoshop, then do the final lines in Illustrator? Why'd I never think of that one? (To be honest - I feel lost most of the time in Adobe products. I know enough to get in trouble on a good day) :)

Yeah =D And then back to Photoshop for color. I know Photoshop pretty well, but not Illustrator. They are hard to learn. When I took graphic design, most of the other students were good in Photoshop but dreaded Illustrator, so that one's a trick for people. I think the switch from raster to vector really confuses artists who've never used it. But yeah, Adobe programs in general take some time to get used to XD

6 minutes ago, Hare said:

When I took graphic design, most of the other students were good in Photoshop but dreaded Illustrator, so that one's a trick for people.

I count myself lucky for making those gradient backdrops or the sites logo.

Oh man. I'm definitely a Paint Tool SAI lover. Sometimes I bounce over to Photoshop if I need some certain effects or a neat background or text. Sometimes I hop onto Clip Studio Paint for comics. SAI's my one true love though. The stabilizer is my best friend-- my hands shake constantly. I couldn't make an actual smooth line without it on a tablet. All my stuff would be all wiggly. If I had a cintiq or something where I could draw directly on the screen I wouldn't need it but I'm so used to SAI now I don't think I'll ever part with it. It's also only about $60 for a permanent copy? What a steal when you're on a budget.

• Like 1

I use Adobe Photoshop for my paintings. I tried out several other programs, but I never really got into using them. I also use Photoshop because I sometimes work on web and graphic design, so it's just easier for me to use a program for most/all my work. Beats having to relearn programs haha. 

• Like 1

I use Sai for just about everything. I love lining art on Sai, because it makes the lines smooth. Even when you're just starting out with digital art, you can achieve crisp lines on Sai. One drawback on Sai is that it doesn't save transparent PNGs (or other file types), so I have to save a PSD and then take it over to GIMP or Photoshop to make the image transparent. It also has a very annoying glitch that prevents you from saving a SAI file after you open a PSD (then you can only save images as PSDs). This is bothersome when I want to save a file as SAI to preserve a line art layer. Once the file is no longer a SAI file, you can't edit the line art layer with the pen tool; it becomes a normal layer.

I use Photoshop for other edits like moving a group of layers together (I don't believe Sai has that ability) and deleting white backgrounds from images. I want to learn how to use Illustrator, but I haven't had the need for it yet, so I've just been sticking to what I know.

• Like 1

I'm just stuck on Adobe Photoshop. I've tried other options, but they've either turned out too frustrating, too "janky", or it literally just doesn't work on my laptop. (unsolvable pen pressure issues, refuses to open at all, crashes in like... 5 seconds)

I do everything on Photoshop though. Digital work, photo touch-ups for friends (eugh), small graphic stuff.
Is all good. //thumbs up!

Photoshop CC 2015 is what I use. 

It really is very good, especially the ability to get some very good plugins to go alongside your Workspace. I really enjoy a lot of features in CC and I feel like the control is a lot better? I mean I did jump from CS2 to CC so I guess it feels like a whole new world?

Using Adobe Photoshop CC 2015 myself!

Then again I came from using a long line of Photoshop programs... Since CS2 through CS6.

Only life-saving features? Rotate Canvas (R) and the backup saves in case something happened to your computer while you worked on something.

//edit: ... for some reason i thought i haven't posted here before. good job jak. good job.

Edited by jakdacrowe

• 2 months later...
On 4/5/2017 at 3:59 AM, SingSong said:

One drawback on Sai is that it doesn't save transparent PNGs (or other file types), so I have to save a PSD and then take it over to GIMP or Photoshop to make the image transparent.

^ You can save them as transparent PNGs by selecting 32bpp ARGB instead of the default 24bpp when the little pop-up shows up when you go to save! :D

-----------

As for my preferences, I use SAI strictly for sketching and lining, then I use Photoshop Elements for everything else - backgrounds, shading, coloring, text, etc. I have regular Photoshop CS6 as well but only use it for bigger files that PSE can't handle as well or when I need to use folders. Most of the tools I use are on PSE anyway and it's faster to open. ;P

I use Photoshop CS6 for interfaces, layouts, pixels, banners, and other graphics. Illustrator CS6 for logos while for drawing I use FireAlpaca and SAI.  The linework saves me so much in SAI since I hate lining lol

Adobe Creative Suite is my jam. Mostly switching between Illustrator and Photoshop here and there. Some AfterEffects + PremierPro when I need it (rarely now that I don't have to edit videos as often woohoo!).

I haven't done art in a while.. not digitally, hahaha. Soooo, I'm back to the good ol' pen and paper. ???

PaintTool SAI. But i also do stuff on MS Paint when necessary.

I use PaintTool SAI because as since the first time i used, it makes the art looks pretty (if you can draw, through).
And MS Paint because of the amazing nostalgia it gives. I drew on it at first time on...7 years ago? Not so long time but stills being a long time.