Stripe.com

juliet

Just wondering if anyone has used Stripe.com as a payment system?

I'm considering it for a project but have no experience with it.  Preliminary research of this site looks very promising.

One of the things that interest me is that it accepts Apple Pay and Android Pay.  My users are always asking for this functionality and paypal doesn't offer it as far as I know.

Edited by juliet

3 hours ago, juliet said:

Just wondering if anyone has used Stripe.com as a payment system?

I'm considering it for a project but have no experience with it.  Preliminary research of this site looks very promising.

One of the things that interest me is that it accepts Apple Pay and Android Pay.  My users are always asking for this functionality and paypal doesn't offer it as far as I know.

I have used it in the past, it is wonderful. Easy to implement and has the ability to be very powerful.

Yes, I love Stripe. Currently working on a project that utilizes their Stripe Connect and Recurring Payments functionality and I was very, very impressed with their documentation and support. If you have any questions I seriously recommend reaching out to them because not only will they answer your questions and provide as much documentation and helpful resources as they can they've also continued to follow up with me over the last few weeks just to see if there was anything else they could help with and ask how development was going. 

My major client uses Stripe in addition to Paypal. Users still prefer Paypal, but Stripe allows to setup payments directly on your site (providing a few steps less in the purchase funnel) without unreasonable and hardly achievable requirements like PayPal does. Stripe also has a nice support, and it is tons less buggy than PayPal. However, the number of purchases through Stripe never went above 5-10% of all for my client.

I encourage you to introduce it as your payment system just because it's a good deed :) Users still prefer PayPal only because they are familiar with it and don't want to explore other options. It's a nice idea to push them a bit :) Though you'll probably lose some of your customers because of that. But if everyone continues to offer PayPal as an option, we all will have to deal with it for the rest of our lives.

Question, what are the 

unreasonable and hardly achievable requirements

you speak of? As far as I know if you want to do CC capture on your own site via PayPal all you need is a verified business account that has been approved for a merchant account, and to do yearly compliance with PCI-DSS like any other CC Auth Gateway (like Authorize.Net through many vendors).

Stripe acts like it's doing it all on your site, but it's actually storing very little on your site, and doing it mosly via their site which is how they get around the PCI-DSS requirements. Honestly I love that CC Auth Gateways require strong Data Security Standards.

Stripe is amazing.  I've implemented both PayPal, and Stripe, and I can honestly say I like developing for it more, I like well, everything about it a lot more.  The only concern people have nowadays is "it's not PayPal".  You can test with PayPal but I've always found it sketchy, Stripe just makes it so much easier for the developer, and you don't need to go to PayPal's site!

@GeekGirl

You need Paypal Pro for that. For me personally it's useless because it's not available for businesses outside US and UK. My client is from US but still they have issues with it. They weren't approved for PayPal Pro even though they are a completely legal successful medium sized company. I don't feel comfortable providing any specific details about them, but the rejection reason was related to their business model which is very close to what we do here.

Edited by Angel

20 minutes ago, Angel said:

They weren't approved for PayPal Pro even though they are a completely legal successful medium sized company. I don't feel comfortable providing any specific details about them, but the rejection reason was related to their business model which is very close to what we do here.

No need to share details, I understand and appreciate the privacy concerns.

As for PayPal Pro, yes, you do need pro. Because when you start doing CC Auth and using PayPal as basically a merchant gateway, they are much more liable than their traditional model, which is just transferring secured funds. Striped is a good easy to setup gateway for CC and such, and with ApplePay and AndroidPay it extends well into the brick and mortar space also. 

But if you or your client wanted to do something more like paypal pro, without using a complete third party like Stripe, I would recomend Evo-Payments (https://www.evopayments.com/home/) which is a not quite traditional merchant service. They offer the ability for sites that don't qualify for other services to get account (so small even micro businesses) and offer all the features of Authorize.Net which integrates with nearly any billing/coding platform and has the same features you get from BIG providers like Chase Paymentech.

As a disclaimer, I AM a evo-payments authorized re-seller. but I did not include a resale/referrer link so please take this information as honest.