Coding pains

Dinocanid

I get that when I do boring stuff like typing in descriptions or writing quests.  Programming itself, while very difficult and a serious pain at times, gives me the feeling that others get when solving puzzles once I figure out how to do something.  It started out as a way to relieve boredom and learn something new, and once I realized this was something I could actually do, it felt good to solve programming problems and learn new things in the same way solving puzzles can feel good.  I mainly hate anything repetitive and monotonous, but building a game requires that kind of stuff.

I can get that way if I am struggling with programming something for a while and not getting to the solution within a smaller amount of time, which does happen depending on what I am working on. But getting solutions and solving things has a pretty positive effect on my mind and mood too so tends to balance out. And then the standard stuff I do regularly I enjoy and I can really program all day and keep going on those days. 

I agree that finally getting that code you were struggling with for a long time feel extremely rewarding. It usually feels like I broke a barrier or some sort, especially since I am still learning. It's kind of like "I actually did it! :0 Now I can do more stuff".
I do need to take breaks though. As much as I would like to work on my websites during all of my free time, my brain doesn't like it lol. Even if I do manage to make a breakthough, I'm usually down for the count the rest of the day.

Edited by Dinocanid

@Dinocanid Well I can't say I can spend all by free time on programming either lol. I definitely take breaks too, and some weeks I really don't have much mental energy left to program at all after work. So just depends what I am working on, and sometimes just how excited I am about my own projects. Excitement to get something out can take me far even if I would otherwise be too tired. But even so after a while my brain just needs time to not think too. :) 

• Like 1

I had that feeling recently. I've been working on developing my own framework and I got to a point where I decided to do everything a bit differently... but that means also going back and rewriting a lot of what I already completed.. which is frustrating considering I just want to move forward and code new features! But also the framework will be alllll the better if I do go back and rework this. So going back I am! Gra!

:-S

23 hours ago, Hasi said:

I had that feeling recently. I've been working on developing my own framework and I got to a point where I decided to do everything a bit differently... but that means also going back and rewriting a lot of what I already completed.. which is frustrating considering I just want to move forward and code new features! But also the framework will be alllll the better if I do go back and rework this. So going back I am! Gra!

:-S

I do find it frustrating to go back and rewrite stuff too.  Even worse is when you test something and no matter what you do, it just will not work, and you have to end up reverting everything and start all over again.

I always describe it as "it feels like my brain is melting". It's the same feeling I get when I've been playing a video game and have to re-do the same part of the same level over and over and over and over because I keep dying. It's also the same feeling I get when I have to drive for a long time and I start to get bored. My brain is prone to meltdowns, I guess :P.

Edited by hurricaneviolet

10 hours ago, hurricaneviolet said:

I always describe it as "it feels like my brain is melting". It's the same feeling I get when I've been playing a video game and have to re-do the same part of the same level over and over and over and over because I keep dying. It's also the same feeling I get when I have to drive for a long time and I start to get bored. My brain is prone to meltdowns, I guess :P.

That's exactly how I'd describe it! It feels like it's melting or frying or something x_x

I get a thing where it feels akin to listening to the same song too many hundred times. 

I have to stop because my brain turns to mush. Yeah, melting. I'll forget simple things and it just turns into a big waste of time. Like that time I couldn't get my own username to echo, only to discover I never logged in.

Edited by Hare

On 11/12/2017 at 5:19 PM, Hare said:

I get a thing where it feels akin to listening to the same song too many hundred times. 

I have to stop because my brain turns to mush. Yeah, melting. I'll forget simple things and it just turns into a big waste of time. Like that time I couldn't get my own username to echo, only to discover I never logged in.

Oh gawd, yes, I've had similar bugs like that only to realize it was something so simple!

On 11/12/2017 at 2:19 PM, Hare said:

Like that time I couldn't get my own username to echo, only to discover I never logged in.

Been there, too many times to comfortably want to admit :D

10 hours ago, Kesstryl said:

Oh gawd, yes, I've had similar bugs like that only to realize it was something so simple!

Most bugs are usually simple to resolve, however being the complicated logical people coders are, well - not so simple :)