Preferred Programming IDE/Editor

Jared

For private, online projects I use cPanel's built in legacy code editor (Not the new AceEditor, can't work with such thin wordwrapping margins omg). When locally developing I use Notepad++, it supports a ton of languages with syntax highlighting and it does what it should without being clunky. I tried using Visual Studio once (the free version), but it was a hassle to install and took forever to launch so I gave up on using it.

I primarily use PHPStorm which I love. Definitely not lightweight, and it does have a cost. But I work full time as a developer and having a more full featured IDE is pretty important to me. I don't use most of the features really, but the ones I do use are worth it. Also helps catch things like typos and unused variables which is nice. 

If I am just pulling up a file to check something quickly I will sometimes pull up and use sublime text, PHPStorm is usually still open, but sometimes I just want to open a single file and not a full project, so sublime is nice for that.

Interesting replies. 

Personally, I use a Mac program called Coda by Panic. It's not exactly cheap, but you get a lifetime license with it. It has tons of pre-built features, as well as extensions that can extend on what it already does. I think I like the built-in server access (file, terminal, SQL, and source control) that doesn't require a separate extension/program to do. 

However, if I'm editing a single file, I'll do like mentioned above and use Notepad++. It's quick and easy to make changes. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...