Tips for developing a pe sim game ?

I could write a book on admin-to-user interactions. I have seen admins be active parts of the community and do very well, and I have seen them do very, very poorly. I've also witnessed admins detach themselves from the community and, with an active mod team, do very well, or they have seemed like they abandoned the game and users. This may sound wrong, but I would advise not getting too involved with the community. You really do not want to get too close to the user base, because it honestly does come across as unprofessional, and can lead to issues within the community later on. It is very possible to not be directly involved, but still have a good reputation as an administrator. 

As for building sim hype...I think planning is a big part of it. You need to already have something to show for, something to back up your text. A wall of text is not nearly as interesting as small text interrupted by eye-catching illustration. Already have  some of the "backbone" features very well thought out, if not already started programming-wise. It needs to be feasible, and sound feasible at that. If you have an idea, look for feedback on it and be willing to take criticism and consider suggestions before throwing it before the potential userbase as bait. Do not go into too much detail, but be ready to answer questions on things should they arise. You want to avoid false promises. 

There are usually two things that initially catch my attention when browsing through games;

A ) The Idea; What is the core idea at the center of the game?

B ) The Art; Everyone is going to have their own preferences for art, so I cannot say much specifically on this. Just try to keep the style consistent, as mismatched styles are going to make for a bit of an eyesore and be a turn-away.

I would advise reading through the threads here posted by other game-owners and players. Even posting a general idea for a feature and asking for feedback can be really helpful-- that is if you're willing to consider the feedback. 

• Like 1

Not to disagree but, I have been a game owner 7 almost 8 years now and I have always been strongly involved in the community. Players love that you give them the time of day and feel more comfortable coming to staff for help when needed. I have never been accused of being unprofessional when working in my game community, you do have to be careful about how you compose yourself. You don't rant or vent, complain about others, talk ill of anyone or any other game. You are to be positive and business professional. I look at members as clients and I always had that business owner/client relationship.

I do agree some owners are not the best at being involved in the community and it can go horribly wrong if you are not careful, but you always have to wear your owner cap and watch your behavior on your game or on anyone else's games or forums.

• Like 1

I once was in charge of running a summer youth camp, and one of my mentors gave me a great tip of advice in being an effective leader.  He said that my job as leader was to oversee running the entire thing.  Does that mean I would interact with kids?  Of course.  But does it also mean I would have to spend many many hours behind the scenes planning and organizing?  Absolutely!  There were just not enough hours in the day for me to fully interact with kids all day.  That is where the necessity of a good team comes into play.  The responsibility of community outreach should not lie solely on you.  Your job as the leader/owner is to equip your staff in the best possible way to take some of that load off.  You should make sure you have a healthy staff with the same vision as you.  If you ensure that, you will have a healthy community.  This also will set your site up for growth.  If you begin by having a good team to back you and allow you to work on other areas, you'll be able to more quickly expand.

To sum it up:  Your priority as leader should be to first, continuously be working on growing your site.  Second, communicate with your staff.  They are there to help...use that.  Get rid of bad ones and keep ones who are teachable and willing.  And third, listen to your community.  You should have enough interaction with your community that you at least know their concerns, wants, etc.

Hope that helps some!

• Like 1

Ah, I don't mean disinvolve yourself from the community. I mean don't get so entangled in it that you become distracted from the site itself, or become unprofessional with the members. You can certainly be friendly and professional at the same time, crack a harmless joke (and I mean harmless very seriously. The best way to enrage/lose members and support is by making insensitive and/or discriminatory "jokes") every now and then, share pictures of your beloved ferrets, etc. My main concern is to not get so involved/friendly that you have a difficult time actually reprimanding/managing the userbase.