making a forum ?

SilverBrick

I don't know how to code a forum from scratch, which sounds like what you're trying to do, but a lot of mysidia sites use myBB since there's already information on the support forums on how to get it integrated with mysidia. (Just use an online proxy browser like NordVPN or Hide.me to reach the mysidia support forums) Here's my simple tutorial, but it requires CPanel or any file manager that has softaculous apps installer:

Spoiler

For those who had difficulty doing it manually (like I did), there is an installer available on cPanel.

Log into cPanel and find the category that says "softaculous apps installer" (If your cPanel doesn't look like this, you may have to change its theme from "x3" to "paper_lantern" like I did)

6322163051397120.png?k=qddc4mAj2FQsqHe_J

Click on myBB, click "install now" and fill out the form. The domain should be the exact same URL as your adoptables site (without www or https)

Click install and you should be done! Please note that you will still have to go to config_forum.php (located in the inc folder) and fill in the information. For mysidia 1.3.4, you will need this as well.

I currently use SMF for my forum, but it's not integrated. I'll probably look into how to integrate it in the future.

• Thanks 1

@SilverBrick The general structure of a simple forum system should be:

categories

• id
  • name (varchar)
  • description (varchar or text)
  • icon (varchar)
  • parent_id (int)
  • is_public (bool)

threads

• id
  • name (varchar)
  • forum_id (int)
  • member_id (int)
  • content (text)
  • is_visible (bool)

comments

• id
  • thread_id (int)
  • member_id (int)
  • content (text)
  • is_visible (bool)

I do not have any code, but the above could be turned into database tables, and code written against it to develop what you are seeking. This is at least a structure of what you'd probably start with.

Basically, you have categories that are in a hierarchy. Basically top level categories would have a parent_id of 0. Sub-categories would have a parent_id of their parents id. This in theory can support endless nesting of categories, but category + 1 level deep is enough for most forums.

Threads belong to a forum, and contain a reference to a user. Any comments to that thread are linked to the Thread by the thread_id, and also reference a user.

I included some bool to control if something is visible or not (threads and comments), as well as whether a forum was public or not. These are rudimentary moderation controls, you can use them to determine appropriate actions.