Adoptable Feature Suggestions

Digital

I am borrowing some ideas I've seen on adoptable games in the past:

1. The ability to trade or transfer a pet to another user. This would be great for those that like collecting and possibly missed out on an "event" adoptable. Also, who wouldn't want to gift their friend a pet at some point in time?

2. Promo codes. This is something I remember from MyAdopts, and Mysidia also has this feature, I believe. Basically, when a pet reaches a certain level, you receive a code when you get to the final evolution. This code can be used for a variety of things:

-You can give out the code for a giveaway, such as a steam key (for a Steam game) that can be used by the first person to evolve the creature all the way.

-You can give out a password to a private board or section on the forum.

-You can give out a code that will allow you to purchase an adoptable in the shop that is only available by inputting a code. For example, if you evolved "Pikachu into Raichu", you earn the code that is used to adopt Pichu. Or, you can set it up so you need to adopt and grow multiple adoptables in order to get the code for one adoptable. So if you leveled up "Pikachu A" you would get the code "abcde", if you leveled up "Pikachu B" you would get the code "fghij", if you leveled up "Pikachu C" you would get the code "klmno", and then you would use "abcdefghijklmno" as the code to get adoptable "Ash".

3 minutes ago, SingSong said:

The ability to trade or transfer a pet to another user. This would be great for those that like collecting and possibly missed out on an "event" adoptable. Also, who wouldn't want to gift their friend a pet at some point in time?

I like this one, and was on the roadmap.

3 minutes ago, SingSong said:

Promo codes. This is something I remember from MyAdopts, and Mysidia also has this feature, I believe. Basically, when a pet reaches a certain level, you receive a code when you get to the final evolution. This code can be used for a variety of things:

-You can give out the code for a giveaway, such as a steam key (for a Steam game) that can be used by the first person to evolve the creature all the way.

-You can give out a password to a private board or section on the forum.

Also really like as it fosters participation. I wonder though for users like @N_E_Wunn if it would actually be a detriment since he really into the idea of playing the Adoptable game? We would have to consider alternative ways to enter the giveaways or means to get the codes.

5 minutes ago, SingSong said:

You can give out a code that will allow you to purchase an adoptable in the shop that is only available by inputting a code. For example, if you evolved "Pikachu into Raichu", you earn the code that is used to adopt Pichu. Or, you can set it up so you need to adopt and grow multiple adoptables in order to get the code for one adoptable. So if you leveled up "Pikachu A" you would get the code "abcde", if you leveled up "Pikachu B" you would get the code "fghij", if you leveled up "Pikachu C" you would get the code "klmno", and then you would use "abcdefghijklmno" as the code to get adoptable "Ash".

I will have to do research on this, but some of this already exists as part of the Store, we already have promotional codes which can offer discounts or free items. It also would not be hard to create a redemption system to redeem codes for pets that might be retired or no longer available. The Store already features a code generator that would work for code generation for this purpose.

Glad to see that those features are doable. Here are a couple others.

1. Adoptable accessories. The best way to do this would be to keep the accessories simple such as a flower that stands upright and would be "planted" in the "ground" of the adoptable image, a bowler hat or a bow that can be put on the adoptable's head, or a dream catcher that hangs from the top of the adoptable square. The accessory system would allow members to purchase the item and then place it wherever they want on the image, so they would decide what looks best. Essentially, this means some people may have a flower floating in the air or a hat that cuts into their adoptable's ears in a way that doesn't look right, but I think this type of accessory system would be the best long-term, because items wouldn't need to be redrawn for each pet. For stretch goals, allowing the resizing of accessories or basic four directions of rotation would give more control to the users. This would also make it so bracelets or necklaces could be possible (because members could shrink them to fit smaller pets). I know I personally would use these in addition to the backgrounds to make my adoptables unique.

2. Adoptable stats. For those that want to have something to work toward without having to adopt many different pets. After reaching the final evolution of an adoptable, players tend to move to the next one, but this would extend the gameplay with each pet. After the final evolution is reached, a player is able to spend power points on stats for that pet. Stat types could be selected from an existing list with names like agility or firestorm. Players could purchase the ability to give their pets unique stat names (either at a high cost of power points or small amount of real cash) like heart breaker or pickpocket or whatever else they come up with. Pets can have three to five stat types total.  These display under power. Each new stat type will either be moderately expensive to obtain (~30 power points) or you can make it so each stat type is more expensive to obtain as you earn them for individual pets with the first being 10 and the last being 70 points, for example. After purchasing a stat type for their pet ("teaching it an ability"), the player may allot power points obtained for that pet toward the stat amount. Players can divide points toward their stats in whichever way they see fit (so one stat may have 50 points, while another may have 5, if desired). As of now, I think this would work simply as a visual feature without stats impacting anything. It would give players something to do with excess points and allow a way to show off their personality and pet personality. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SingSong said:

2. Adoptable stats. For those that want to have something to work toward without having to adopt many different pets. After reaching the final evolution of an adoptable, players tend to move to the next one, but this would extend the gameplay with each pet. After the final evolution is reached, a player is able to spend power points on stats for that pet. Stat types could be selected from an existing list with names like agility or firestorm. Players could purchase the ability to give their pets unique stat names (either at a high cost of power points or small amount of real cash) like heart breaker or pickpocket or whatever else they come up with. Pets can have three to five stat types total.  These display under power. Each new stat type will either be moderately expensive to obtain (~30 power points) or you can make it so each stat type is more expensive to obtain as you earn them for individual pets with the first being 10 and the last being 70 points, for example. After purchasing a stat type for their pet ("teaching it an ability"), the player may allot power points obtained for that pet toward the stat amount. Players can divide points toward their stats in whichever way they see fit (so one stat may have 50 points, while another may have 5, if desired). As of now, I think this would work simply as a visual feature without stats impacting anything. It would give players something to do with excess points and allow a way to show off their personality and pet personality. 

I absolutely love this idea and would definitely extend gameplay. 

• 4 weeks later...

I was pressured into evolving my unicorn from its baby form because of all of the notifications XD Would it be possible to choose to keep 'em a baby, even if they're ready to evolve? Maybe as simple as limiting the number of notifications that remind the user to evolve their adopt, haha. 

RIP tiny unicorn child, hello big pony

• Like 1

1 minute ago, runeowl said:

I was pressured into evolving my unicorn from its baby form because of all of the notifications XD Would it be possible to choose to keep 'em a baby, even if they're ready to evolve? Maybe as simple as limiting the number of notifications that remind the user to evolve their adopt, haha. 

RIP tiny unicorn child, hello big pony

Haha! Good point. I noticed that. I was pressured as well. :(

It gets so annoying, you finally give in. You have to remember not to post with the pets you don't want to level up. But if you want to display them? Out of luck.

Maybe there could be a "Turn off Notifications" option next to where it says "Evolve" on the adoptables' page?

• Like 1

@runeowl @SingSong

There is if you look at your Account Settings. If you go to this page and at the bottom, just toggle off "An Adoptable can Evolve." and the notifications will stop bugging you.

Right now they run every 15 minutes to see if something can evolve, which can be annoying, I will be moving to every two hours in the next update.

As a side note, I really need to update the Adoptables guide.