Forum Adoptable Update 3/21

Digital

So, here is the update so far today, I think we are nearing the end of the initial rollout, and in terms of front-end features we are good to go for launch. I will be doing a lot of the admin backend code mostly to administrate the system from now on.

Please note this preview is from my local development machine, the images are of Pokemon and of me. No, you will not have to deal with pictures of me as a backdrop when we launch, nor will you have to suffer with the likes of Bulbasaur (unless you like him - then enjoy :P)

Also, the images I am using are not squared at 128x128 or 256x256, so they do appear stretched below.

• Eggs are now purchasable items

As mentioned you will find a selection of Eggs (both free and premium) in the Store here on the forums. These have been implemented.

shop_egg.png

• You can purchase backdrops

This is one of the stretch goals, however adding new items types to the store was so easy, it only took me about an hour to get working so I went ahead with it. Backdrops will be a vanity item, allowing you to add a background image behind the pet. This will allow you to customize how your pet looks next to other peoples in threads. Right now these are hard-set, but I will provide a version allowing a user to upload their own (as premium option.)

shop_backdrop.png

• Pet descriptions are now editable, tell a story

So here is how pet descriptions work. If you don't add a description, the current description of your pets current form will display. However you can customize this to tell your pet's lovely story.

description.png

• Evolution allows naming

So, I know @SingSong asked about being able to name pets. Well, you can, however there is one limitation to this. You may only name your pet when you evolve them, or purchase an item to allow you rename your pet (A "writ of name change" type of item maybe?) The reasoning is that since evolutionary forms can be drastic, your name may not feel as good as good as it did early on. Allowing it to change as you evolve seemed like a good balance, while encouraging you to power up your pets.

You will also notice any applied backdrops are also visible so you can see what your evolution will look like with your currently applied backdrop.

evolve.png

• Obligatory profile view and post view for those who are curious

So, with the addition of the backdrops, here you can see them in action on the profile page and posts.

profile.png

postbit.png

What's Next?

So, as I was saying above, I am moving more into admin related tools for the system over the next few days. The system can be rolled out today without such, but would require a lot of manual monitoring by myself at a database level. I would rather have some tools available initially. That aside, we need adoptables!

@Hare had offered to potentially help with some, and I will be posting a hiring notice in the marketplace shortly for more help. I would love to see this go live before the weekend hits, as from the development standpoint, we are almost there. I know this puts pressure on any interested artists, but we will see how it all pans out.

Do you plan on having alternate colors for the same creatures? If so, will all potemtial colors be hatchable from the same egg, or from separately colored eggs? Or should there be no alt colors? 

Love the backdrop, description, and naming features. The store looks nifty too. Nice idea to help build some revenue for the site.

Is the naming feature available to you when you hatch them initially? I'd love to be able to name my critters for free on the initual hatch (and evolutions like you said), but wouldn't mind buying an item to rename them if I changed my mind about the name.

And yeah tons of progress! Looks great. 

Edited by Hare

51 minutes ago, Hare said:

Do you plan on having alternate colors for the same creatures? If so, will all potemtial colors be hatchable from the same egg, or from separately colored eggs? Or should there be no alt colors? 

52 minutes ago, Hare said:

Love the backdrop, description, and naming features. The store looks nifty too. Nice idea to help build some revenue for the site.

Is the naming feature available to you when you hatch them initially? I'd love to be able to name my critters for free on the initual hatch (and evolutions like you said), but wouldn't mind buying an item to rename them if I changed my mind about the name.

No plans for colorations as of now, however there will be an item that will allow the user to upload their own pet image (keeping to species) which would allow them to color it if they wanted to.

Yes, since egg to first form is an evolution you can name it.