Tamagotchi, the original virtual pet is back!

I don't know about you guys, but I had one of these growing up. I recall actually being so concerned about the little digital guy that I would have my grandmother (who was a very patient sport about it now that I think back) essentially babysit the damn device while I was in school.

They are coming in all their retro glory, even with the monochrome displays. For now, they are being released in Japan, but I recall the fun I had, and kinda hope they make their return to the states, I would probably still buy one, if anything for my son to experience the joys of what I grew up with.

Anyone else have one?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/tamagotchi-rerelease-japan-1.4069850

The original virtual pet that set off a storm of popularity and knock-offs in the 1990s is coming back — but only in Japan, for now.

Bandai has released a throwback version of Tamagotchi, the tiny electronic virtual pet that launched in 1996.

Players help raise a tiny creature that can grow into an adult animal like a dog, cat or snake. You have to feed it, play games with it and clean up after it after it poops, roughly simulating the process of raising a real pet.

The Tamagotchi was one of the biggest toy crazes among kids when it hit North American shores in 1997, disrupting school classrooms and sparking debates about whether the digital pet craze would hurt the actual animal pet industry.

I remember as a kid, tamagotchi's were so fun and interesting!

As an adult however, when I play with them they just dont scratch the same itch as they used to. Back then I didnt play pokemon, virtual pet sites, or pretty much anything like it, so it was new and interesting. There is that much available now on mobile devices etc that I just dont think they would be as popular as they used to be. 

However, I can imagine my kids having them.. but getting bored quickly (Kids dont know how lucky they are today compared to when we were kids! haha)