Has anyone here attempted to make games beyond the browser?

Digital

I've played around with RPGMaker and made a couple 'personal' games. Nothing I'd really consider complete or worthy of publishing outside my circle of friends though...

I've also made a number of small generic games in Java, Python, Swift, and C++ including rock paper scissors, blackjack, space invaders, tic-tac-toe, battleship, a text adventure, and an rpg for assignments in the course of my university studies.

It's something I'd like to revisit more seriously at some point, but I'm not sure I'd ever try to make a career of it. I have a couple Unity and GameMaker development courses collecting dust in my Skillwise account. Unfortunately they're pretty low on my list of priorities right now though.

Edited by Sparren

35 minutes ago, Sparren said:

I've played around with RPGMaker and made a couple 'personal' games. Nothing I'd really consider complete or worthy of publishing outside my circle of friends though...

What did you think of RPGMaker?

13 minutes ago, Digital said:

What did you think of RPGMaker?

I found it pretty simple to pick up. I was able to just jump into it through simple trial and error without following any guides and any gameplay you'd expect to find in a traditional JRPG can be created without really knowing anything about code. Building all the maps and set pieces for the game was a lot of fun and where I spent most of my time. From there characters and events could be generated with what seemed like just a few clicks.

The biggest draw for me was the easy availability of so many cheap or free to use art and sound assets packs though. Finding art I can use is usually the biggest hurdle/expense for me in development so having so much at my fingertips from the beginning was nice even if most of it also appears in hundreds of other RPGMaker games.

Supposedly a lot can be done to expand its functionality via scripts, but I can't speak much on that aspect. Back when I used it I was just in it for some quick fun and wanted to see what I could achieve with a minimum of effort. I wasn't interested in doing any custom coding and mainly built joke games to share with friends.

On 5/18/2017 at 11:20 AM, Sparren said:

I found it pretty simple to pick up. I was able to just jump into it through simple trial and error without following any guides and any gameplay you'd expect to find in a traditional JRPG can be created without really knowing anything about code. Building all the maps and set pieces for the game was a lot of fun and where I spent most of my time. From there characters and events could be generated with what seemed like just a few clicks.

Nice, I picked it up a while back, but haven't had much time to really get into it.

On 5/18/2017 at 11:20 AM, Sparren said:

Supposedly a lot can be done to expand its functionality via scripts, but I can't speak much on that aspect. Back when I used it I was just in it for some quick fun and wanted to see what I could achieve with a minimum of effort. I wasn't interested in doing any custom coding and mainly built joke games to share with friends.

Looking at it, it appears to have a great scripting engine in it. One of the reasons I got interested in it.

@Digital, keeping this thread on topic, but kind of going on on a tangent - have you ever tried Roblox's Game Studio?

It is a simplified version of Unity - drag and drop some elements, set some triggers for collisions and whatnot, press a button and boom - automatically has multiplayer and scoring and whatnot integrated into it :D

1 hour ago, Nate said:

have you ever tried Roblox's Game Studio?

I have not, however looking at it, it looks interesting. Not sure I like the constraints on the platform for it though, but looks fun for hobbyist or a niche type of market.

37 minutes ago, Digital said:

@Elm I remember you posting this on Discord, and really liking this. The modeling and design is amazing!

Thanks Digital! The discord version was an old cut. We've updated the lighting and textures since then.

• Like 1