Are you a cheater?

So this topic is more about using any form of advantage (usually unintended advantages) in games to get ahead. So.. are you a cheater when it comes to games? If so, what has been your favorite game to cheat, and how?

I actually started learning programming (back then it was VB6) in order to develop bots to play Neopets for me, this was back when Neopets was actually Neopets before their several purchases, and they took any form of cheating seriously. 

I can also remember using the potion glitches in Morrowind to essentially become unstoppable. In the game you could stack potion effects, so if you stacked intelligence enough, you could produce potions with insane stat boosts that lasted forever. Add a crafted spell that was basically a AOE explosion of all the Destruction Schools, well - in the end most of the towns or cities were ghost towns.

I cheat not so much to win at games, as I usually cheat on one game, then play it through without cheating. I do it more out of curiosity.

Do you cheat?

I don't typically like cheating in games--I don't even use mods! I used to (whenever I first played Oblivion and Sims 2/3), but now I really just like to enjoy games for what they are. Sometimes it's fun to grind! I think the only time I cheat in a game nowadays is whenever I play Sims 4, and even then very sparingly. 

I've never cheated to gain an advantage over other players. There is nothing I hate more than people using "aimbots" and "mods" in online competitive games to get an advantage.

However, I like using cheats or glitches that make the game more fun and interesting to "mess around in".

I like games that provide in-game cheats (ala GTA universe where the cheats are added in by the devs)

I like games with fun glitches - the best will always be back in the days of HALO 2 on Xbox Original, where you could use the Sword and Rocket Launcher glitch to get outside the map. Obviously this was done with everyone in the game agreeing not to kill each other and kept me entertained for hours haha.

And then there is the glitches that unlock stuff that you wouldnt otherwise normally get - I recently started playing Pokemon Red again, and first thing I did was the Teleport glitch to get Mew in Cerullean City - it wouldnt be obtainable by any other means, so dont consider it "cheating" par-se. haha.

I usually try extremely hard not to cheat on anything because to me, cheating ruins the game and the challenge, and I like being challenged, not having everything handed to me. That being said, I quit a lot of games after they became heavy in the "if you want this one time special item, you have to pour out your actual cash for it". I have nothing against purchasing rare items or things that hard to come by and you could use the advantage early, but when you have to pay for an item or special beast that only shows up once basically with no other way of getting it... then I just get annoyed and lose interest fast. 

The game Howrse does that now and it drive me nuts. I used to enjoy the simplicity of it but it was also challenging enough to raise the horses to be the best. As soon as ubasoft took them over, you can't get any of the legendary horses without dishing out lots of money usually. And their event games... not a chance, there is no chance what so ever now to get the legendary horses from those games. There used to be a chance if you worked really hard and timed everything just write...now... nope.

Otherwise, before that, I used some cheats to get all the starters in the older pokemon games, but beyond that, I just play and fight my way through it all.

• Like 1

Can't say I've ever cheated in a game unless it utilised in game codes (Sims, basically).

I dislike complete pay-to-win schemes. It's frustrating, I don't mind grinding to get X rare items but when theres always someone that shells out a lot of money for in game advantages I feel less of an inclination to input an excess amount of time if it's common place. So my interest becomes fleeting at times.

I've been cheating Pokemon games since I was about 9 years old. I love cheating and hacking console games to see what they'll do. I had a blast giving weird movesets to my Pokemon. I had a Magikarp named Rage that knew Judgement. Love seeing the animations in Pokemon Stadium, too. I've given Fly to Diglett, Snorlax, and a bunch of others for the giggles.

I also liked collecting my 'perfect' Pokemon for character teams so I could do roleplay battles with friends. Just creating all those teams was so much fun in itself, it's like making a trainer card for me, but actually having it in the game and be usable. 

I also really like Project M and Smash Brothers texture hacks.

I don't do it to win, it's just for fun and messing around. I'm not someone who cheats to give myself a bunch of money or advantage and beat out other players or cause inflation/other damage. I never want to cause harm to a game or its economy. I also want to make sure to bring bugs to the attention of the developers if it's an ongoing game to make sure they know about it. Cheating can be a very serious problem. 

49 minutes ago, Hare said:

I don't do it to win, it's just for fun and messing around. I'm not someone who cheats to give myself a bunch of money or advantage and beat out other players or cause inflation/other damage. I never want to cause harm to a game or its economy. I also want to make sure to bring bugs to the attention of the developers if it's an ongoing game to make sure they know about it. Cheating can be a very serious problem. 

When I did autobuy from Neopets, it was never to cheat the economy or cause issues, to this day my account may have a nice bank, but I am not going out and manipulating the market. I actually never really spent or bought anything. I never was out to prove I was rich in game. I actually got into the idea of writing the programs to automate parts of the game as a challenge to see if it could be done.

Neopets early on went through a lot to make it continually challenging, they would change their captcha's, their logins routines, they really tried, so it was exciting to try and keep up. More recently, Pokemon Go has provided that challenge, except Niantic is much more directed to just suing then attempting to provide any real sport for people who are challenged like me :P 

1 hour ago, Digital said:

When I did autobuy from Neopets, it was never to cheat the economy or cause issues, to this day my account may have a nice bank, but I am not going out and manipulating the market. I actually never really spent or bought anything. I never was out to prove I was rich in game. I actually got into the idea of writing the programs to automate parts of the game as a challenge to see if it could be done.

Neopets early on went through a lot to make it continually challenging, they would change their captcha's, their logins routines, they really tried, so it was exciting to try and keep up. More recently, Pokemon Go has provided that challenge, except Niantic is much more directed to just suing then attempting to provide any real sport for people who are challenged like me :P 

That's interesting =D I remember a bunch of people messing around and duplicating items, but I was neverable to figure out how back then lol Shame about Pokemon Go. Yes, the challenge sounds fun. 

I'm not into cheating, however when I was deep into Kingdoms of Camelot several years ago I was forced into using scripts just to keep the game running. Everyone was blatantly using them and Kabam finally gave scripts their blessing. Unfortunately, we had a big storm that knocked out power for a long enough time that I lost years worth of work and my alliance abandoned me. No way all the cheating in the world would restore me to a competitive level.

Before that I remember being tempted to clone items on Millsberry (anyone remember THAT one?) but I'd much rather try to earn what I can on my own, which is probably why I'm a perpetual pauper in every game I play.