Ads have been disabled.

Digital

Display of ads on the site have been disabled, this was due to a few different reasons, but overall my dislike of their effects on the site's loading speed, and the fact that AdSense has been an absolute horror to work with. I have not felt it has provided much in the way of any value to the community as a whole.

Just to clarify, we do not need ads to power the site, they were used to try and bring in some extra funding for stuff, but are not a requirement.

Plus side, pages now load wonderfully quicker.

Google's Adsense program is truly a nightmare. We still have money in limbo we aren't able to collect because of their bugs and lack of customer service.

Literally, there's not a single person you can call or email with issues, as I'm sure you quickly discovered, lol. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, runeowl said:

Literally, there's not a single person you can call or email with issues, as I'm sure you quickly discovered, lol.

Indeed. When I first used it, as my account actually goes back to when adsense first opened up, it was actually an enjoyable program to use. It seems to have gone downhill, and is basically a black box. Such a shame really.

4 hours ago, kami said:

If you ever want to try ads again, perhaps a more controlled route might be better? Having site owners purchase spots or something?

This will most likely be our route when/if we decide to look at ads again.

Yeah Adsense has a bad habit of dragging a site downhill. The only real use for an Adsense account now is if you have a Youtube account.

Perhaps you could also consider account upgrades in the future - eg, $5 to show more than one adoptable on your forum post detail thingie, $2 for a power boost to double your earned power for a week etc :)

Edited by Nate
typo