How does one use Facebook?

I really don't get this whole craze behind this entire Facebook thing. I just don't understand it and some of the information out there especially the interface is kind of confusing.

I know a lot pet sites use Facebook and as such I thought I give it a shot during my rebuilding effort.

How does one upload content such as images to ones facebook account and how does one reply to a Facebook reply?

I just set an account for my own website Duelingpets as of late and I thought I'd ask the communities advice.

How does one use Facebook?

Facebook, I won't lie, can be tricky. They've made things next to impossible for advertising and posting when it comes to trying to inform your members about things. After some research, I learned that the best way to stay in contact with your members and guarentee that they see your content is by using their Group Option (NOT PAGES). Pages is a scam and useless. Even if you have thousands of watchers, only 8% or so actually see the posts and if you an off site link, that drops down to like 4%. Groups guarente that everyone see your posts, regardless of where they come from, and plus, you have more options.

So, how to use groups and post content:

- Create a Group: At the very top in the blue header, look to the right and you should see question mark and then a small downward arrow. Click the arrow and there should be an option to create a group. Go through the prompts and set up as suggested. Groups only has a header/banner image. 

- When you want to write a post, just click on where it says "write something" and start typing // When you also click on it, you should see a gray bar that shows up a the bottom of the typing box. There you should see images that look like a camera, person, happy face, and an upside down tear drop. The camera is for adding photos or pictures to the post. The person is tagging someone in the post (which isn't really important and thus can be ignored). The smiley face is for adding emotes and the tear drop is for stating a location (which only comes in handy if you are posting something "come join me at this art con thing and check out my table" type of stuff)

- At the very top of the text post you clicked on earlier, you will see other buttons and icons// the pencil is for writing, which is automatically goes to, it has a tag if you want to sell something instead, you can also add a file, and the 3 dots show even more options. 

For replying 

- To reply to a person's reply normally, go to the top of the facebook page where the blue header is and look for the icon that looks like a speech bubble with a lightning bolt in it. Click on that, and it'll bring up any private messages you have from anyone. Just click on the message you wish to reply to and it'll take you to it so you can type out your answer.

Let me know what else you may need help with since I pretty much use Facebook for business quite often and pay attention to a lot of what works and what doesn't.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2017 at 9:32 AM, Aminirus said:

Facebook, I won't lie, can be tricky. They've made things next to impossible for advertising and posting when it comes to trying to inform your members about things. After some research, I learned that the best way to stay in contact with your members and guarentee that they see your content is by using their Group Option (NOT PAGES). Pages is a scam and useless. Even if you have thousands of watchers, only 8% or so actually see the posts and if you an off site link, that drops down to like 4%. Groups guarente that everyone see your posts, regardless of where they come from, and plus, you have more options.

So, how to use groups and post content:

- Create a Group: At the very top in the blue header, look to the right and you should see question mark and then a small downward arrow. Click the arrow and there should be an option to create a group. Go through the prompts and set up as suggested. Groups only has a header/banner image. 

- When you want to write a post, just click on where it says "write something" and start typing // When you also click on it, you should see a gray bar that shows up a the bottom of the typing box. There you should see images that look like a camera, person, happy face, and an upside down tear drop. The camera is for adding photos or pictures to the post. The person is tagging someone in the post (which isn't really important and thus can be ignored). The smiley face is for adding emotes and the tear drop is for stating a location (which only comes in handy if you are posting something "come join me at this art con thing and check out my table" type of stuff)

- At the very top of the text post you clicked on earlier, you will see other buttons and icons// the pencil is for writing, which is automatically goes to, it has a tag if you want to sell something instead, you can also add a file, and the 3 dots show even more options. 

For replying 

- To reply to a person's reply normally, go to the top of the facebook page where the blue header is and look for the icon that looks like a speech bubble with a lightning bolt in it. Click on that, and it'll bring up any private messages you have from anyone. Just click on the message you wish to reply to and it'll take you to it so you can type out your answer.

Let me know what else you may need help with since I pretty much use Facebook for business quite often and pay attention to a lot of what works and what doesn't.

@Aminirus: This is certainly makes it a bit easier for me. :) By the way do I have name my account my website name and the group the same name as well or could I have my own name and have my group name have my website name?

I kind of created two accounts on Facebook because I got confused and don't really know how others do this.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Boltgreywing said:

@Aminirus: This is certainly makes it a bit easier for me. :) By the way do I have name my account my website name and the group the same name as well or could I have my own name and have my group name have my website name?

I kind of created two accounts on Facebook because I got confused and don't really know how others do this.

I would say to name the main or your account your name and then the group the website name. The only reason I say this is so that way when you post to the group, people see they are talking to another person, not possibly or a robot.

Facebook can be confusing, so no worries 

5 hours ago, Aminirus said:

I would say to name the main or your account your name and then the group the website name. The only reason I say this is so that way when you post to the group, people see they are talking to another person, not possibly or a robot.

Facebook can be confusing, so no worries 

@Aminirus: I got the facebook a little better so you are right it is confusing.

Here is my new group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Duelingpets/

On 5/8/2017 at 9:32 AM, Aminirus said:

I second @Aminirus on Facebook groups. I tested out making a Facebook page for my art, and ran a few ad campaigns to see how well it retained active subscribers/followers. 

Spoilers: It didn't. I ran a few different ads with different demographics and different price points but what was common was that I'd get a spike in likes / views on my page, but no very little interaction once the ad expires. 

I also found a decrease in post visibility on my followers' news feeds. Simply put the content you post on a Facebook Page tends to get "lost" with all the other sponsored content they're showing you - and other pages that can pay $$$$$. It's harder to even show your posts & advertise. I'm also certain they make it even harder once you reach a certain level of activity / followers... Just to make you pay more for your visibility ;) 

I'm not 100% sure on that but it was definitely NOT worth the time to run Facebook ads for what I was after. 

Your mileage may vary but this was my experience with FB pages :) I would use a Facebook group or curate some posts for a personal account and get interactions there. 

Edited by Cadence
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Boltgreywing said:

@Aminirus: I got the facebook a little better so you are right it is confusing.

Here is my new group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Duelingpets/

Looks great. The only thing I would suggest is adding a title or name of the group within the header image because sometimes people forget to the look to the left and then could possibly shrug it off as another artwork site.

Like this is mine: https://www.facebook.com/groups/wildhowlz/

As you can see, the name/title is clearly visible.

Now I'll let you in another good step to do. As you can see with mine there are several posts. A good thing to do is to have a "welcome to the group" post and give out any rules regarding what is and is not allowed for posting. You can "pin" it, which means it will remain as the very top post on the group page. Whenever someone stops by, that will be the first thing they see, regardless of what has been posted afterwards.

To "pin" a post, first type out, add picture, say whatever you need to, and publish the post by hitting enter. Once posted, look at the top of the post to the right and you should see a downward facing arrow. Click on that and it'll bring up a small menu. Select "pin post", and you're done! You can only do this with 1 post, but it does make as a nice welcomer. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2017 at 9:02 PM, Cadence said:

I second @Aminirus on Facebook groups. I tested out making a Facebook page for my art, and ran a few ad campaigns to see how well it retained active subscribers/followers. 

Spoilers: It didn't. I ran a few different ads with different demographics and different price points but what was common was that I'd get a spike in likes / views on my page, but no very little interaction once the ad expires. 

I also found a decrease in post visibility on my followers' news feeds. Simply put the content you post on a Facebook Page tends to get "lost" with all the other sponsored content they're showing you - and other pages that can pay $$$$$. It's harder to even show your posts & advertise. I'm also certain they make it even harder once you reach a certain level of activity / followers... Just to make you pay more for your visibility ;) 

I'm not 100% sure on that but it was definitely NOT worth the time to run Facebook ads for what I was after. 

Your mileage may vary but this was my experience with FB pages :) I would use a Facebook group or curate some posts for a personal account and get interactions there. 

@Cadence: Facebook is kind of weird. I have a twitter account set up but I get nothing really. The process for setting that up is simpler.

11 hours ago, Aminirus said:

Looks great. The only thing I would suggest is adding a title or name of the group within the header image because sometimes people forget to the look to the left and then could possibly shrug it off as another artwork site.

Like this is mine: https://www.facebook.com/groups/wildhowlz/

As you can see, the name/title is clearly visible.

Now I'll let you in another good step to do. As you can see with mine there are several posts. A good thing to do is to have a "welcome to the group" post and give out any rules regarding what is and is not allowed for posting. You can "pin" it, which means it will remain as the very top post on the group page. Whenever someone stops by, that will be the first thing they see, regardless of what has been posted afterwards.

To "pin" a post, first type out, add picture, say whatever you need to, and publish the post by hitting enter. Once posted, look at the top of the post to the right and you should see a downward facing arrow. Click on that and it'll bring up a small menu. Select "pin post", and you're done! You can only do this with 1 post, but it does make as a nice welcomer. 

@Aminirus: I am having a bit of problems with a header image because they only allow the images in the 200 range and my banner is 1000 pixels. I am going to try the pin post. On Fanfiction we can pin more then one post. Well I tried to make a welcome post I just don't know how well it turned out. Also thank you for joining my group.  :)

I know i am going to require a bit of hand holding, but I'd like to thank you for taking your time with me though.  :)

@Boltgreywing Is that 1000 in length, width or resolution? I know my own banner is somewhere around 900x400, give or take a few numbers and the resolution is 300. You might have to crop down the picture before you add it on as a banner. I'm sure the closer it is to looking like banner size for FB, the easier it should be to work with.

And good work with the Intro. It looks and reads great to me :3 No problem. Everyone learns in different ways and paces, that's why there are many books and tutorials on the same subjects but told through different view points and different tips and tricks. I can only try, but hopefully at least some of the advice is helpful.