What apps/social media platforms would you love to see?

I was talking to a friend of mine last night over dinner and we were discussing apps we'd love to see from funny ones such as a procrastination app to more serious things. 

I personally would love a more personable, fun way to learn coding whether its an app modelled like a game or a website. 

Social media however I find to be a dry place at the moment, of course there are variations but nothing totally unique like Pinterest and Twitter have been. I think a better DeviantART variation can be built as while there is Artstation it isn't a very 'connected' place in my eyes? 

So what apps or websites would you like to see?

• Like 1

I still have to upgrade my daily computer because I can't even access some social medias anymore, so no LinkedIn or Instagram for me XD  I just don't like being forced to update my software when I like what I have and the new ones constantly have issues and this one doesn't. 

I don't do too much social media, just basically Twitter, Deviantart, and Facebook. Most of its mostly business or I post works in progress and stuff like that, nothing too much personal. I do agree with Artstation though. I have it but hardly use it because it feels so anti-social over there and no one talks. They don't really have forums or any place for people to just... talk... it's like all about work and no play, which gets old and boring. 

I'm always iffy about apps on phone because of how much they take without really telling you and most of its not necessary information. I hardly play any games on there because most of them want access to things like my phone's pictures or contact list... for reasons I can't comprehend... other than to spam my friends or something. 

Personally, I'd love to see a place that feels "judgement free" and everyone can feel rewarded in some way, even if it's just virtual. Like how this forum lets your raise pets based on the number of posts and activity you do here. That I find cool and fun. I've seen one where you can battle foes and collect items based on your activity. It'd be more fun if apps and websites incorporated that a bit more to get people actually doing something and feeling accomplished, maybe even learn something along the way.

There are so many things I would do if i (knew how/had the time) to make apps, but ultimately there is only 24 hours in the day :(

There are games out there which can teach you coding, but they always oversimple or too complicated - there is a gap between the 2 which no website/app has managed to fulfill.

As for Social Media, I like smaller startups that compete with the "big names". The best example I can give is VidMe (My Link), which is currently prime competitor to YouTube. Ultimately it does stand a chance to actually compete with it.

I dont think anything will ever replace Facebook or Twitter. People have tried making similar platforms to compete with them, but users simply dont seem eager too migrate.. Perhaps there is too many social media platforms out there..

I dont even understand Instagram or Pintrest (an i have tried them intensely too)

Edit: I just recently started using LinkedIn too, which I'm actually finding beneficial to my career (i didnt think it was possible haha)

Edited by Nate.Tube

@Aminirus I totally agree about ArtStation. It's made for industry workers, not people learning. 

Yes! Game apps using my camera and my contact list? I mean what on earth? I am very sure they don't need that sort of information from me! 

I think a  reward system is a huge must for any app and site nowadays. I have a FitBit and the rewarding system is really amazing and gratifying. An example of a reward was 'Congratulations you've walked up the Eiffel Tower' which is both interesting and makes you feel good about yourself. I do tend to be more inclined to use something if I get rewarded. 

@Nate I have seen a few coding ones and I agree with a gap not being filled - same with languages. No nothing will ever be able to replace Facebook or Twitter, they have dominated that market and since everyone is using it others don't want to try something else. 

I really enjoy Pinterest but as an artist I think it's more of my sort of thing? It is a very obvious idea but it's brilliant.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2017 at 2:44 PM, WinterBlues said:

@Aminirus I totally agree about ArtStation. It's made for industry workers, not people learning. 

Yes! Game apps using my camera and my contact list? I mean what on earth? I am very sure they don't need that sort of information from me! 

I think a  reward system is a huge must for any app and site nowadays. I have a FitBit and the rewarding system is really amazing and gratifying. An example of a reward was 'Congratulations you've walked up the Eiffel Tower' which is both interesting and makes you feel good about yourself. I do tend to be more inclined to use something if I get rewarded. 

Agreed :3 It may be a simple reward, but as humans, we like to know we accomplished something, even if it's a virtual accomplishment