Chat moving to Discord

Digital

So, as many of you have seen, we have been testing out how the Chatbox on the site works for us a community. Overall, I believe it was successful initially, but has died in popularity and usage since then. I believe this isn't due to a lack of interest, but the disconnected feeling of a Chatbox versus a Chatroom environment.

So, as @PaulSonny asked if anyone had a Discord user, I was inspired. Discord is a great chat app (available in browser, desktop, and mobile form), with room for us a community to grow if it does. Its feature list is exhaustive, but it is nice that it gives us a place to chat without directly being tied to this site.

I personally intend to be on it the majority of the time, so stop in to say hello, and I think it would be awesome to see some of you guys hop on and chat a little to if you are so inclined. I don't bite. :) 

You will find a widget at the bottom of the pages containing a list of 5 users that are on, as well as a link to join in. Discord is free.

@Digital

Great idea! I use Discord all of the time anyway, so I'll be much more likely to check in on and actually use it than any chat here. It's also a great way for everyone here to keep in touch with one another should TGL ever experience some downtime.

Can you add an invite link or advertisement for it to the "Important Information" announcement post too? I think it would do a lot to increase the odds new members will notice it (although the Discord users online widget is a great step).

I remember VPL had a Discord too but no one ever seemed to realize it was there. When the downtime started I tried to suggesting to a staff member that they post the link to their Facebook page so everyone would be reminded and could stay in touch in the meantime, but I'm not sure they ever received it :(.

Edited by Sparren

16 hours ago, Sparren said:

Can you add an invite link or advertisement for it to the "Important Information" announcement post too? I think it would do a lot to increase the odds new members will notice it (although the Discord users online widget is a great step).

All done!

On 4/24/2017 at 10:09 PM, Digital said:

So, as many of you have seen, we have been testing out how the Chatbox on the site works for us a community. Overall, I believe it was successful initially, but has died in popularity and usage since then. I believe this isn't due to a lack of interest, but the disconnected feeling of a Chatbox versus a Chatroom environment.

So, as @PaulSonny asked if anyone had a Discord user, I was inspired. Discord is a great chat app (available in browser, desktop, and mobile form), with room for us a community to grow if it does. Its feature list is exhaustive, but it is nice that it gives us a place to chat without directly being tied to this site.

I personally intend to be on it the majority of the time, so stop in to say hello, and I think it would be awesome to see some of you guys hop on and chat a little to if you are so inclined. I don't bite. :) 

You will find a widget at the bottom of the pages containing a list of 5 users that are on, as well as a link to join in. Discord is free.

The problem with chatboxes is it is dependent on how active your members are. Not everyone is on at the same time all the time. Some are in different countries, changing to Discord doesn't change the problem that the chatbox couldn't solve. I personally don't have a discord and I don't I will get one as I am not active enough to use one.

A big issue is if a chatbox or discord is not kept in check the forum will decay and no one will be on here anymore. :(

The cherno forum is a good example of this:

https://www.thecherno.com/forums/

This is what happens when a chat system takes over.

I don't want this to happen to the gaming list, I already lost the cherno forum and virtualpetlist for the time being. I don't want the gaminglist to fall as well. Its the one place where I can learn things and meet some new people that I can't meet anywhere else.

Please don't let this happen.

Edited by Boltgreywing

On 4/26/2017 at 7:51 PM, Boltgreywing said:

I don't want this to happen to the gaming list, I already lost the cherno forum and virtualpetlist for the time being. I don't want the gaminglist to fall as well. Its the one place where I can learn things and meet some new people that I can't meet anywhere else.

Please don't let this happen.

Obviously we will be monitoring this, do not worry. We will always be here on the forums.

1 hour ago, Syntax said:

I don't think the addition of the discord chat will mean people will go there instead of here. I'm on here way more, and occasionally pop over into the chat to see what's happening. 

^ This. Since i joined the discord I'm permanently logged in via my computer/tablet/phone, however I still consider the forums to be the primary means of communications (also we dont earn power on discord ;) ). However, discord is nice to have a chat via my phone if im not at my computer/laptop.