Interview with Regnant, Owner of Ohu Dogs

Digital

I had a chance to talk with @Regnant about Ohu Dogs, and ask him a few questions about this wonderful adoptables game. I urge everyone who gets a chance to check out https://ohudogs.com, and give it a try.

1. Give us a little insight into your game such as what is it about, player base, and when did it start?

I've been a big fan of the Ginga Nagareboshi Gin/Ginga Densetsu Weed manga/anime series, and I know a lot of other fans that love anything based on the series too. I decided to give a shot a click-based adoptable site inspired by Ginga. Lots of dogs, and some battling!

2. What hardships faced your team early on when getting your game going?

Actually not many! I did all the programming, and I found a wonderful Ginga fan to donate art (Anttu). We only had 2 dog bases for a long time, but once she had more time she quickly handed over more, so we now have 6 different "breeds".

3. What feature of your game do you think was the hardest to develop or add?

Definitely the battle system. Figuring out the math behind attack power and defense had me scratching my head for a while. I have plans to completely recode it to make it more interactive in the near future!

4. Any failed features that you thought would be great additions to the game, but turned out not to work with your users?

The original battle system was bad, so I had to rework that. The dog creator also was used a lot but got some complaints about the lack of options. Since a lot of people in the game were very artistic, I decided to let people upload their own designs using the site line-art. It's been a hit!

5. What do you think is the most important factor that keeps your game’s team going to provide new content?

Well it's pretty much just me. Since it's a 100% free-to-play game, I don't feel a whole lot of pressure to add new content constantly, and my users are great! I work on the game in my free time, and I have to say it's fun to see this game slowly get bigger. I love Ginga, so having a bunch of fans cheering me on is very motivating!

6. What advice would you give a new game maker who is starting out?

Get a lot of opinions from the players. I have an always open suggestion forum and I have to say I love all the ideas that come in! While some ideas I know I won't do (and I let them know with reasons why), a lot of them I have set aside for future additions.

7. I wanted to thank you for your time to do this interview, is there anything you feel should be added to that you feel would be helpful or a great resource for new game makers aspiring to create a game?

I learned most of my programming from just trying things out. Ohu Dogs itself is sort of an experiment for me to try new things. Start small and simple and build up! Maybe make a mini-version of your game first.

• 4 months later...