i do not know where to put this question, so um watercolors?

LIZ

i do not know where to put this question, so um watercolors? i have been painting with them for a while but i want to get a good solid watercolor cakes. i think i am going to go with FABER-CASTELL 24/36/48 Colors Solid Watercolor Cakes Paints or Winsor & Newton Cotman Water Color Pocket Plus Set of 24 Half Pan. what are some brands do you like the best? ^__^

I don't like the blocks, I prefer the tubes. My favorite brand is Schmincke, they paint very similar to Winsor Newton but they come in a much bigger tube so it's easier to get them out when you get to the end of the tube and they're easier to open when the caps get paint on them and kind of dried shut.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/schmincke-horadam-aquarell-artist-watercolors/

I love using them on this paper, I think they work better with something that's cold pressed and has a medium tooth and texture to it. http://www.michaels.com/arches-cold-pressed-140-lb-watercolor-block/M10063385.html

I second @Design1online as well that tubes are WAY better - not only for the quality of the colours and the professionalism, but also for ease of use like she mentioned.

I tend to use WHSmith Watercolours since they’re the ones that I preferred from using different brands (I’m not sure if WHSmith is outside the UK though... ?)

But the best brand i ever had the pleasure of trying was the brand Giotto for both watercolours and acrylics ?

A massive negative for both brands, though, is that their prices are very steep ?

Edited by Bravefoot
  • Like 1

Will also chime in with a vote for tubes, although cakes have improved quite a bit. They just don't give the same richness and control, especially when glazing. Also, I can't imagine using all the colors in your cake set equally, which means that although you think you are paying less initially, in the long run you will end up with many empty slots and quite a few barely-used ones. Tubes allow you to choose just those exact colors you want.

That being said, depending on your style, you may want to combine different brands. I layer my work a lot, so the transparency of Winsor & Newton is important in my palette. However, sometimes I'm looking for more opaqueness and vibrancy, so I choose colors from M. Graham. 

There is a lovely blog that addresses nearly all components of watercolor painting, including evaluations of different brands. Here is a link to truly useful ways to save money on watercolors

• Like 1

Late, but I have the Winsor and Newton Professional range. I have used the cotman pan range for many years, but it is definitely the student line and the colours are not as rich or as high quality. But it is very affordable. I do a lot of layering so the Winsor & Newton range is quite convenient for me, but also because I have to move around so much. The pans are very portable and great because I won't have a stable location for another month or so. 

[EDIT] This is a very nice and extensive comparison of watercolour brands. https://www.jacksonsart.com/a-guide-to-watercolour-painting 

Edited by Elm
more info