Digital

2 minutes ago, Kesstryl said:

I think the adoptables are really cute, and a great motivator to get people to post.  I haven't quite figured out how to name mine yet though, is there a catch to that?

Ah yes, they are able to be named (or renamed) when they Evolve.

I like how low maintenance adopts are, since this is a forum first and foremost. :) 

A few suggestions that may give them a little more spice? Which you can use all or none depending on how you feel adopts should fit here:

• Maybe use a blackened silhouette or just a ? image in the Adoptable Codex or in the adopt's preview until you actually grow through it yourself. You'd still be able to see other's adopts around the forums as clues as to what else is around, but there'd be a little more mystery and fun to it.
  • Possibly some alternate forms. Either as 1 gets a "shiny" form with colors that has a chance to be when it hatches, or it has a chance to evolve into a variant by features, like one has antlers and the rarer form doesn't 
  • Some adopts have evolution "paths" where one adopt has two or more paths that it has the potential to adopt down, determined by how quickly it is grown
  • A link on the adoptable codex to lead to your adopts for convenience, since the adoptables tab at the top is more visible than going under your avatar and clicking "my adoptables"
  • Maybe in the future when there's more members and more adopts, double XP days, where XP is earned at twice the rate as normal
  • Maybe some adoptables are given out as you reach posting landmarks (every 500 posts awards an exclusive egg or unlocks it for you in the shop, or you only get one at 1k posts, but I'd say that should depend on if those adopts have variants or shiny forms)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pepper-Head said:

A link on the adoptable codex to lead to your adopts for convenience, since the adoptables tab at the top is more visible than going under your avatar and clicking "my adoptables"

This has been done as part of the update I released today.

12 hours ago, Pepper-Head said:

Possibly some alternate forms. Either as 1 gets a "shiny" form with colors that has a chance to be when it hatches, or it has a chance to evolve into a variant by features, like one has antlers and the rarer form doesn't 

I like this idea, something to consider.

12 hours ago, Pepper-Head said:

Some adopts have evolution "paths" where one adopt has two or more paths that it has the potential to adopt down, determined by how quickly it is grown

We actually already have this as a feature, but no pets that actually have paths so far.

Some ideas I wanted to toss out to the community:

• Adding a form of element to each Adoptable, randomly at pet hatching. These could be called "Affinities". Initially limited in function, eventually useful for other activities. Earth, Fire, Wind, Water.
  • Adding in a basic item inventory, and having items to:
    • Rename pets.
    • Change an Affinity of a pet.
    • Increase XP for x period of time.
    • Decrease XP for x period of time. (Could be used against an Adoptable belonging to someone else.)
    • The ideas for items are wide ranging, from temporary visual changes to items that could cause effects on other peoples pets.
  • Exploration of a world (split into different regions) with random events. These would provide Adoptables with XP in exchange for some time, or other random events.
  • Allow learning of abilities related to the Affinity, could be used in Exploration as a simple form of battle.

Thoughts?

I love the idea of paths. It reminds me of Digimon.

Affinities.. hmm it sounds interesting though what if a creature that's clearly designed to be aquatic gets the fire affinity?
Would it be possible to have certain adopts with limited affinities to hatch with? Though if you want an aquatic creature with a fire affinity being able to change affinities is nice and having one could be interesting for roleplaying.

Exploration sounds interesting. No real thoughts formulated on that though but it might make a nice addition.

I like adopts right now and agree with @Pepper-Head on the low maintenence being a forum and liked the ideas too. Glad to know the codex us developed like that now, always prefer the discover approach. And the branching might be neat if some are added.

Your inventory and explore ideas could be fun, I am not against them, but just depends on what focus your going for, that'll make it more like a game and may distract from the forum aspect.

9 hours ago, Ouli said:

I love the idea of paths. It reminds me of Digimon.

Affinities.. hmm it sounds interesting though what if a creature that's clearly designed to be aquatic gets the fire affinity?
Would it be possible to have certain adopts with limited affinities to hatch with? Though if you want an aquatic creature with a fire affinity being able to change affinities is nice and having one could be interesting for roleplaying.

Exploration sounds interesting. No real thoughts formulated on that though but it might make a nice addition.

I was thinking that any Adoptable can have any Affinity. The idea was that an affinity is what the Adoptable was drawn to, not necessarily what they are. I think can kinda be described as "If a fish want's to breathe fire... why not?"

If our pets were remotely realistic, I would say yes limit it, but I kinda like the looser fantasty of the idea.

7 hours ago, Anoua said:

I like adopts right now and agree with @Pepper-Head on the low maintenence being a forum and liked the ideas too. Glad to know the codex us developed like that now, always prefer the discover approach. And the branching might be neat if some are added.

Your inventory and explore ideas could be fun, I am not against them, but just depends on what focus your going for, that'll make it more like a game and may distract from the forum aspect.

This is something I am struggling with. The Adoptables are huge draw for many members. I want them to be fun, but never mandatory in terms of advancing on the forums. These features I proposed, although available, are not mandatory to advance in the community sense, but to grow your pet, and provide some social interaction. The Affinities being random on hatching, perhaps open up new forum ideas/topics on Adoptable trading. An economy perhaps item trading or buying/selling amongst members.

It is gamification, but I want it to feel like useful gamification. We have played with the daily streak bonus, but it doesn't seen terribly interesting to members. My thought if I can provide a little more interaction with Adoptables, with the encouragement of gamification (to a degree), it might have an effect of encouraging activity.

We have our current forum focus, but I do not feel the above would supersede or ruin those existing topics. Actually, we tend to get a lot of users that have joined that fall into the Player category, and are here to find or play, not to develop and build.

1 hour ago, LIZ said:

so we are not getting rid of adopts now?

Adoptables are staying. :) 

I was thinking that any Adoptable can have any Affinity. The idea was that an affinity is what the Adoptable was drawn to, not necessarily what they are. I think can kinda be described as "If a fish want's to breathe fire... why not?"

If our pets were remotely realistic, I would say yes limit it, but I kinda like the looser fantasty of the idea.

Speaks of freedom to me. I like it! B)

The forum's running smoothly so I don't think time spent on adding features to the adoptable system would take away too much from the forum so I'm not too worried about the focus being taken away. I would have if this forum was messy and full of drama. I think that with the layout we have it's pretty clear that this is more of a forum than a game. Many forums spruce up their boards by adding features like this and many pet games are heavily focused on forums so I think it can go hand in hand well. I'm sure it can help boost/maintain activity.

On 10/19/2017 at 10:34 PM, Digital said:

Ah yes, they are able to be named (or renamed) when they Evolve.

I evolved my Kitsu and still can't figure out how to name it.  I tried naming it when I evolved it and got a database error, so I did a regular unnamed evolve, and now I can't name it.  Is there a way to allow us to manually name them?

10 minutes ago, Kesstryl said:

I evolved my Kitsu and still can't figure out how to name it.  I tried naming it when I evolved it and got a database error, so I did a regular unnamed evolve, and now I can't name it.  Is there a way to allow us to manually name them?

Uh oh, looks like you stumbled on a bug. I will work to get that fixed post-haste. In the meantime, if you shoot me what you wanted to name your Adoptable, and which adoptable, I will change it for you :) 

I'm not sure if this has already been suggested, sorry if it has. I personally create a "click list" of different people's adoptables that I click (anyone can message me to have their pets added to my list, but mostly it's random people that I visit).

But you could make a page where you can load random adoptables that you have not yet clicked on, and give some love to other people's little ones.

7 hours ago, LostEscape said:

I'm not sure if this has already been suggested, sorry if it has. I personally create a "click list" of different people's adoptables that I click (anyone can message me to have their pets added to my list, but mostly it's random people that I visit).

But you could make a page where you can load random adoptables that you have not yet clicked on, and give some love to other people's little ones.

The adoptables on this site do not grow through clicks.  They grow through making forum posts.

On 10/28/2017 at 12:39 PM, Kesstryl said:

The adoptables on this site do not grow through clicks.  They grow through making forum posts.

As of the last update, they do now grow from clicks, its a great way to not only share the site, but also get some extra exp.