Where to find VPS Artists for future pay/owner share?

Nate

Hi All,

Not really sure where this should be posted, but I've been considering my options as far as development of my virtual pet site goes.

Due to the sheer upfront cost of Art for a virtual pet site, are there artists out there who are willing to work on a promising project with the guarantee of future pay once the website makes money?

Or better yet, are there artists out there who would be willing to take part ownership of the game in exchange for providing art (with me providing all the programming and server costs etc)?

I'm looking for a generic pet site style - not "realistic", and preferably someone who is capable of most formats (ie, pets, items, maps).

I know there aren't many people here on TGL, so it's unlikely I would find someone here willing to do that who could dedicate the time, however are there any online communities where I might find such people looking to expand their portfolio with the prospect of future success with this game?

I'm sure you could find artists like that, most likely either very young or very passionate about your project, but for the rest of us, what we hear is you essentially asking for free work and we'd just turn you down.

19 hours ago, Nate said:

people looking to expand their portfolio with the prospect of future success with this game?

I can't help but shivver when reading this.

In all respect to you, take the time to raise/save up money, and show that same respect to us. Art is a job deserving to be paid just as much as programming.

9 minutes ago, kami said:

I'm sure you could find artists like that, most likely either very young or very passionate about your project, but for the rest of us, what we hear is you essentially asking for free work and we'd just turn you down.

I can't help but shivver when reading this.

In all respect to you, take the time to raise/save up money, and show that same respect to us. Art is a job deserving to be paid just as much as programming.

Hi kami,

Thanks for taking the time to respond on this, I really appreciate your input :-)

Re-reading my post I probably haven't worded it in the best way possible - Im currently paying 2 artists for map and NPC art work and Im commissioning a TGL artist for pets monthly starting next month. I'm not looking for someone to take on a free ride (although now you've pointed it out I can see how my post comes across with my quote "when the website makes money"). My apologies with that ✋?

I completely agree that art is worth being paid :-)

My logic behind this thread is that perhaps there might be artists out there looking to go down the equal ownership road but don't have any programming knowledge, it wasn't my intention to come off in the tone it seems to have taken, My apologies ??

• Like 1

Appreciate the clarification :) (Sorry for my attitude, my patience for that crowd is all but gone nowadays x'D)

I'd try Deviantart's forums. I can't guarantee the person would stay on, but you might find some people nostalgic for the idea. That's really the only place I can think of.

16 minutes ago, kami said:

Appreciate the clarification :) (Sorry for my attitude, my patience for that crowd is all but gone nowadays x'D)

I'd try Deviantart's forums. I can't guarantee the person would stay on, but you might find some people nostalgic for the idea. That's really the only place I can think of.

Haha no problem. I completely understand what you mean - I've seen my fair share of "people work for free then the site goes under" pet sites, and it is saddening to see all that hard work go to waste :-(

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have poke around on DeviantArt when I get home today ?? 

Thanks for your help

2 hours ago, Nate said:

Haha no problem. I completely understand what you mean - I've seen my fair share of "people work for free then the site goes under" pet sites, and it is saddening to see all that hard work go to waste :-(

@Nate and @kami, not to derail the conversation too much here, but I would actually be curious why you feel that most projects that are this way tend to fall apart. You both have had the experience with them, probably combined more then many. What do you think is the major driving force behind it all is, since it happens way too often?

1 minute ago, Digital said:

@Nate and @kami, not to derail the conversation too much here, but I would actually be curious why you feel that most projects that are this way tend to fall apart. You both have had the experience with them, probably combined more then many. What do you think is the major driving force behind it all is, since it happens way too often?

Lack of funds, lack of planning, lack of time, lost passion, lack of organization, staff dropping.

Probably the ultimate one would be lack of planning. That's essentially the core cause of all the sites I've been a part of failing.

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, kami said:

Lack of funds, lack of planning, lack of time, lost passion, lack of organization, staff dropping.

Probably the ultimate one would be lack of planning. That's essentially the core cause of all the sites I've been a part of failing.

^ This pretty much sums it up. Most that I have seen are owners that dont really realise how deep things will get - they dont take into consideration how much time it takes to run a pet site and before they know it they start disappearing for days at a time with staff questioning what is happening, until suddenly one day the owner stops logging in.

I've also seen instances of people being paid and not completing the work that was paid for, and this make the owner give up on the project >_<

Actually, to be honest, I don't mind helping you out. A simpler style means I can get more done faster and I do actually need the practice to keep things up and going for me. We can talk more about it via PM if you'd like. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Aminirus said:

Actually, to be honest, I don't mind helping you out. A simpler style means I can get more done faster and I do actually need the practice to keep things up and going for me. We can talk more about it via PM if you'd like. 

Hey @Aminirus

Thats great to hear, thank you. I'll shoot you a message :-)

• Haha 1

Hahaha, the coincidence! I'm in your same BUT inverted situation! Meaning, I can do art but my programming skills are a complete pile of digested food >.<

I had offered once upon a time 50% of the game in the future if someone programmed the game for me, but no programmers really stepped up XD

I would gladly offer my services, but you already have the ideas for the game, when I want to make mine, but I think I can draw you a thing or two when I'll have free time... Right now I'm quite full with exams and whatnot, but from next weekend I will be as free as a butterfly (yippeeh!)

If you still need help, feel free to PM me! I don't mind working for free for your upcoming game, the only thing I'll ask for is accreditation, and an early account if I may ;)

3 hours ago, Elm said:

A bit late to the party, but it you haven't found anyone. I don't think I'd necessarily go to Deviantart, but rather more gamedev focused forums. 

Hi Elm,

Thanks for th suggestion. Do you have any recommendations?