Difficulty Mode for petsite

I decided to try my hand at having a difficulty setting for my petsite.

Easy difficulty the user starts off with x amount of points (200 maybe) Limited to y amount of players.

Medium difficulty user starts with no points.

Hard difficulty user starts with -3000 points in debt and has a 5000 point loan that he needs to pay back. Limited to z amount of players.

A hidden mode may be developed at a later time period.

This is a bit of a wip.

So what do you guys think about it?

The numbers you've listed are meaningless without knowing anything about the site's economy. It'd be more relatable and understandable to advertise the idea of:

Easy: you start off with x amount of in game currency (ie normal pet game play)

Medium: you start off with no currency

Hard: you start off having to pay off a loan and/or negative currency

I think the answer heavily depends on what the kind of game is, the general difficulty in earning more currency (some games already make it difficult to earn more currency, which tends to make an "easy" mode already difficult), and what sort of payoffs come with those modes. Is it just the currency that's effected? If so, I'd say that's kind of boring. If you're going to have difficulty modes, why not expand that into more areas of the site? Though you mentioned it's still a wip, so I understand if you're still working out expanding it.

I think it has potential though! It just really depends on how it's executed.

Questions for @Boltgreywing

1. If I choose a difficulty does it hinder my ability to do what other players can do, outside of making it harder for me?
  2. Can I change my mode after choosing it, how does that work?
  3. How do you plan to balance it out where there is equal share of equality in the game over the modes since I am assuming the game is not single-player.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:52 PM, kami said:

The numbers you've listed are meaningless without knowing anything about the site's economy. It'd be more relatable and understandable to advertise the idea of:

Easy: you start off with x amount of in game currency (ie normal pet game play)

Medium: you start off with no currency

Hard: you start off having to pay off a loan and/or negative currency

I think the answer heavily depends on what the kind of game is, the general difficulty in earning more currency (some games already make it difficult to earn more currency, which tends to make an "easy" mode already difficult), and what sort of payoffs come with those modes. Is it just the currency that's effected? If so, I'd say that's kind of boring. If you're going to have difficulty modes, why not expand that into more areas of the site? Though you mentioned it's still a wip, so I understand if you're still working out expanding it.

I think it has potential though! It just really depends on how it's executed.

@kami: I am going to start off with the currency first and move on to making events more frequent. One of my keys is trying to determine the correct point values and that will require lots of planning.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:04 AM, Digital said:

Questions for @Boltgreywing

1. If I choose a difficulty does it hinder my ability to do what other players can do, outside of making it harder for me?
  2. Can I change my mode after choosing it, how does that work?
  3. How do you plan to balance it out where there is equal share of equality in the game over the modes since I am assuming the game is not single-player.

@Digital: The mode is usually set at the start and will only be allowed to change once either the player dies of old age in the game or is killed by some kind of animal. Or doesn't pay back their loans. :)

Actually I am thinking of hindering all players ability at the beginning to make it more difficult.

I haven't really consider the issue that much as most of this idea is stemming from an ancient game called SimCity 2000.

I've took some time to reply to this because I wanted to seriously think about it.

In my opinion, I think the hardest part of a "difficulty setting" would be implementing it. Simply hindering players at the start of the game wouldnt be enough. For players playing on harder difficulty settings, games traditionally have baddies that are harder to kill, or rewards that are harder to earn.

How would this translate to your game?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Boltgreywing said:

I haven't really consider the issue that much as most of this idea is stemming from an ancient game called SimCity 2000.

Keep in mind that SimCity 2000 was never a multiplayer game where you were in play with others around you. Difficulty with other real players around you is hard enough because, well, they are real. Against a computer component sure, difficulty applies, but in a multiplayer environment, it is a lot harder.

5 hours ago, Nate said:

In my opinion, I think the hardest part of a "difficulty setting" would be implementing it. Simply hindering players at the start of the game wouldnt be enough. For players playing on harder difficulty settings, games traditionally have baddies that are harder to kill, or rewards that are harder to earn.

This, could not have stated it better!

I am curious to see how this would be balanced personally. Like others have said it depends on the currency's worth and other in game aspects.

For example, would a user on 'easy' mode ever be equal to a user on 'hard' mode? For a multiplayer game there must be overlapping qualities. And if so, what is the benefit of the 'hard' mode? Is it achievements, lore or special in game items/pets/etc.

If the currency is universal to the site then does that mean, with a 'hard' player - to get rid of their debt - would their ability to increase their currency be either ''easier'' or more rewarding? As you'd need to be careful of in game inflation if the growth in certain 'modes' is different.

Feasibly after the 'hard' users get rid of their debt, then what? Also do they have any repercussions of being in debt to begin with (like interest).

Just trying to brainstorm a few ideas I can think of regarding the concept. I hope this helps the discussion.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tmra said:

For example, would a user on 'easy' mode ever be equal to a user on 'hard' mode? For a multiplayer game there must be overlapping qualities. And if so, what is the benefit of the 'hard' mode? Is it achievements, lore or special in game items/pets/etc.

This actually brings up a good point, I didn't think about this myself. What as a player do I get for playing in a harder mode versus the easier mode?

1 hour ago, Digital said:

This actually brings up a good point, I didn't think about this myself. What as a player do I get for playing in a harder mode versus the easier mode?

Perhaps in the "virtual pet site" world, the only way to segregate would be to only allow easy vs easy, hard vs hard etc in multiplayer? But then this limits the multiplayer capabilities if the game is small >_>

On 5/17/2017 at 10:08 AM, Nate said:

I've took some time to reply to this because I wanted to seriously think about it.

How would this translate to your game?

@Nate: I think the battle system would have to be made tougher or pets would have to cost more. I am guessing the amount of points you normally get from things such as blogs and artwork maybe reduced as well. On top of that I am considering adding a life system with extra lives and a potential maximum age your character can live for before you have to start all over again. On top that each inhabitent has different lives and different max ages.

On 5/17/2017 at 3:50 PM, Digital said:

Keep in mind that SimCity 2000 was never a multiplayer game where you were in play with others around you. Difficulty with other real players around you is hard enough because, well, they are real. Against a computer component sure, difficulty applies, but in a multiplayer environment, it is a lot harder.

This, could not have stated it better!

@Digital: Actually technically most part no except for Simcity 2000 network edition.  However in Simcity 2000 network edition you get to choose the difficulty setting in terms of easy medium and hard level. Hard level interestingly enough has a 10k bond in actual multiplayer scenario.

On 5/18/2017 at 1:19 AM, Tmra said:

I am curious to see how this would be balanced personally. Like others have said it depends on the currency's worth and other in game aspects.

If the currency is universal to the site then does that mean, with a 'hard' player - to get rid of their debt - would their ability to increase their currency be either ''easier'' or more rewarding? As you'd need to be careful of in game inflation if the growth in certain 'modes' is different.

Feasibly after the 'hard' users get rid of their debt, then what? Also do they have any repercussions of being in debt to begin with (like interest).

Just trying to brainstorm a few ideas I can think of regarding the concept. I hope this helps the discussion.

@Tmra:  Once the user pays off the debt they have they then must pay off their loan as well. The loan will take an interest amount out of the users points either per minute or per hour unless they don't have sufficient points to pay the interest. The interest will continue to be paid for until the maximum loan has been repaid. Once they have done so they can then perform other purchases but they start a bit behind other users.

I don't really have an achievenment system built in as of yet. My main point of things is I kind of want to avoid ingame only items for user x over user y as it has tendancy to favor one over the other.

All items have a decay rate which can be 1 or higher. Once an items decay rate reaches 0 it is removed from the system. This way items don't last forever. Equipment also decays overtime. Each time a piece of equipment helps you successfully avoid an attack that item decays. Each time you make a hit with a sword the sword decays. Same thing goes with armor as well.

On 5/18/2017 at 10:24 AM, Digital said:

@Digital: I haven't thought of what rewards the users will get for play modes as of yet.

On 5/18/2017 at 11:25 AM, Nate said:

Perhaps in the "virtual pet site" world, the only way to segregate would be to only allow easy vs easy, hard vs hard etc in multiplayer? But then this limits the multiplayer capabilities if the game is small >_>

@Nate: I think I have a lot to think of in designing this.