If you could build a game without a programmer....

@runeowl

I hope so too. For the time being I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and assuming it is still being worked on. It's very possible that the webmaster just hasn't noticed anything wrong yet. I don't know how long it has been unavailable since I only tried it tonight in response to your earlier post. We'll just have to wait and see.
I already posted that one earlier in this thread and it was down at least since April 9: 

EDIT: Found it, it was located at http://design1online.com/, but that site seems to be down, last facebook status update was in January :/

@Shex

Ah, sorry Shex. Guess we overlooked that post. I guess it's not looking great for that project then... Thanks for letting us know.

Sounds pretty cool. It's unfortunate the game isn't still around I would have liked to try it out.

I never used MyAdopts so I'm not sure it would have been realistic there, but I can imagine something along those lines being possible with image layering suites like GraphicsMagick. The complexity would depend upon how the parts were drawn since in order to build a proper looking pet each part would have to be specially mapped with each connecting piece. A possible work-around for that would simply be to allow players to layer the parts manually (similar to how ChickenSmoothie allows players to dress their pets), and then generate the permanent 'official' pet image from that once they confirm they are happy with the combination. Of course that would still limit how the parts had to be drawn a bit and open the door for some poorly built 'troll' pets.

Anyway, to get back on track a bit... I think games like that really go to show what can be achieved when designers aren't restricted by their lack of coding knowledge. Having more tools and opportunities to build up a game without having to invest so much time and money up front for a programmer to build everything from scratch could allow some really unique and interesting games to finally see the light of day.

Don't fret too much. It was the product of only a few weeks, so there were only about a dozen pages on the site. It wasn't a complete game to play.

I keep seeing people mention GraphicsMagick. I'm kind of confused what it does still. From their site, it says it can:

• Create a composite image by combining several separate images

Is this the function that you're referencing? Would it basically layer these pieces together as one image, so you don't have to save all the combinations and upload them yourself?

But I understand what you're trying to say. There are possible ways to get around that issue. However, without having much knowledge about programming, I don't know how much of this would have been doable on a platform like MyAdopts that doesn't give you access to the backend programming (like MysidiaAdoptables does).

And yeah, I agree. Having something like this would allow more people to make games. Artists would be more capable of creating sites (without having to hunt down a programmer), and maybe more people would even just make small, fun games (rather than feeling like they need to invest years into making for-profit games because of the financial investment they put into making the site).

I guess it's not looking great for that project then... Thanks for letting us know.
These types of projects don't seem to do well long-term, for the most part, unfortunately.

Does anyone recall MyVirtualPetSite? https://www.facebook.com/myvirtualpetsite/

The site domain no longer works. That project seemed to have potential. I was looking forward to Jade's project as well.

I keep seeing people mention GraphicsMagick. I'm kind of confused what it does still. From their site, it says it can:

• Create a composite image by combining several separate images

Is this the function that you're referencing? Would it basically layer these pieces together as one image, so you don't have to save all the combinations and upload them yourself?
Yes, exactly. Of course it has many other functions as well. I'm still a beginner with GraphicsMagick, but my understanding so far is that much of what you can do with a program like GIMP or Photoshop can also be achieved programatically using GraphicsMagick.

For a better idea of what I mean have a look at some of the 'mogrify' command options available (http://www.graphicsmagick.org/mogrify.html). As you can probably see mogrify allows you to transform an image in many different ways. (Layering images to build a composite would use a different command called 'composite' http://www.graphicsmagick.org/composite.html)

These types of projects don't seem to do well long-term, for the most part, unfortunately.
Yeah. I can kind of imagine why though.

Such a project is a large undertaking and not only will it require lots of continuous support and documentation, but the demographics it is probably most attractive to (minors and those unable to afford lots of custom code upfront) likely aren't too flush with cash. Therefore unless it develops a large following and/or a great monetization strategy I imagine it is hard to make a project like this profitable long term.

Last edited by a moderator:
but my understanding so far is that much of what you can do with a program like GIMP or Photoshop can also be achieved programatically using GraphicsMagick.

That's what I was imagining, too. Okay, looks like I do understand it then.

For a better idea of what I mean have a look at some of the 'mogrify' command options available (http://www.graphicsmagick.org/mogrify.html). As you can probably see mogrify allows you to transform an image in many different ways. (Layering images to build a composite would use a different command called 'composite' http://www.graphicsmagick.org/composite.html)

Wow, I can see the power in that. So cool.

Such a project is a large undertaking and not only will it require lots of continuous support and documentation, but the demographics it is probably most attractive to (minors and those unable to afford lots of custom code upfront) likely aren't too flush with cash. Therefore unless it develops a large following and/or a great monetization strategy I imagine it is hard to make a project like this profitable long term.

Those are my thoughts as well. I'm actually surprised MysidiaAdoptables is still around for those reasons. These projects are a lot of work for (most likely) little pay. I do, however, like the idea MyVirtualPetSite had about releasing additional features that people would have to pay for in order to add to their sites. I think that had the potential to be profitable, but I do remember that some ways they went about things made people lose interest. The main factor was that updates were scarce after the first month, so that alone killed the project. The other big thing is that you couldn't customize your layout unless you paid from what I remember. On these kinds of projects, you want people to be able to create things of some kind of quality without paying, because the non-paying members probably fit into the category you mention and don't have cash to spend, but they have some time to spare. If they put their time into making a good product, the main pet site platform will receive some traffic simply due to that, and some of those newcomers may be willing to pay for something.

Yes, exactly. Of course it has many other functions as well. I'm still a beginner with GraphicsMagick, but my understanding so far is that much of what you can do with a program like GIMP or Photoshop can also be achieved programatically using GraphicsMagick.

Speaking of Graphics Magick I used that same code with uploading my files to my website in ruby on rails. :)

Back