Preferred Programming IDE/Editor

Jared

So, I'm curious to see what everyone uses to do their programming. I know there are tons of IDE/editors out there that are capable of programming. What do you use?

For private, online projects I use cPanel's built in legacy code editor (Not the new AceEditor, can't work with such thin wordwrapping margins omg). When locally developing I use Notepad++, it supports a ton of languages with syntax highlighting and it does what it should without being clunky. I tried using Visual Studio once (the free version), but it was a hassle to install and took forever to launch so I gave up on using it.

I generally use Visual Studio Code, which is a free lightweight editor akin to Atom. Does what I need while looking relatively clean and easy to use.

I use Eclipse IDE. It's what I used at work for java development. So I just kept using it for web development as they have a version geared towards php.

Last edited by a moderator:
I primarily use PHPStorm which I love. Definitely not lightweight, and it does have a cost. But I work full time as a developer and having a more full featured IDE is pretty important to me. I don't use most of the features really, but the ones I do use are worth it. Also helps catch things like typos and unused variables which is nice. 

If I am just pulling up a file to check something quickly I will sometimes pull up and use sublime text, PHPStorm is usually still open, but sometimes I just want to open a single file and not a full project, so sublime is nice for that.

Interesting replies. 

Personally, I use a Mac program called Coda by Panic. It's not exactly cheap, but you get a lifetime license with it. It has tons of pre-built features, as well as extensions that can extend on what it already does. I think I like the built-in server access (file, terminal, SQL, and source control) that doesn't require a separate extension/program to do. 

However, if I'm editing a single file, I'll do like mentioned above and use Notepad++. It's quick and easy to make changes. 

I was using Adobe Dreamweaver for some time, which I still use for the "quick edits." But I switched to using Visual Studio mainly at my workplace. At home I'll use Brackets and occasionally Dreamweaver.

PHPStorm and JetBrain's other IDEs, depending on what language you are developing in for a given project, are usually pretty fantastic.

It's also pretty amazing what you can do with VIM, given enough tinkering...

Back