Pagination

DarthJawns

Does anyone have a good tutorial or reference for pagination in PHP?  Looking to incorporate pagination for a few pages on my site

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are using Laravel, then it comes out of the box.  Otherwise, you essentially need to pass through a page number in the URL and then use a COUNT to see/calculate how many actual pages there are.

Does anyone have a good tutorial or reference for pagination in PHP?  Looking to incorporate pagination for a few pages on my site
Another option is Kaminari which has pretty good performance in comparison to pagination. Its a tool I use for my ruby on rails site. I am not sure if it supports php though.

How many things on the page:

$perpage = 100;

Then put this after to get the page number from the URL

if (isset($_GET["page"])) { $page = $_GET["page"]; } else { $page=1; };
$start_from = ($page-1) * $perpage;

This add this to the end of the select query of things youre paginating.

LIMIT $start_from, $perpage

Then you just need to gather the links to the pages (in another query but without the limit). 

How many things on the page:

$perpage = 100;

Then put this after to get the page number from the URL

if (isset($_GET["page"])) { $page = $_GET["page"]; } else { $page=1; };

This add this to the end of the select query of things youre paginating.

LIMIT $start_from, $perpage

Then you just need to gather the links to the pages (in another query but without the limit). 
You have to be careful with a query like that.  You should be validating that it is more than just set otherwise you could potentially get yourself into SQL injection territories. Adding in an "intval" could help with that just to 100% make the string an integer before being placed in your code.

I've adjusted your code block to also remove the "else" section, because you can easily define it above, and won't run into scoping issues.

$page = 1;

if (isset($_GET["page"]) && ($value = intval($_GET["page"]))) {
$page = $value;
}

The caveat with this code, is it isn't going to do a "0-based", so your pages must start at 1 which is what you are doing anyways with the page - 1 part.

You have to be careful with a query like that.  You should be validating that it is more than just set otherwise you could potentially get yourself into SQL injection territories. Adding in an "intval" could help with that just to 100% make the string an integer before being placed in your code.

I've adjusted your code block to also remove the "else" section, because you can easily define it above, and won't run into scoping issues.

$page = 1;

if (isset($_GET["page"]) && ($value = intval($_GET["page"]))) {
$page = $value;
}

The caveat with this code, is it isn't going to do a "0-based", so your pages must start at 1 which is what you are doing anyways with the page - 1 part.
Thank you, Judda! This looks great =D

Please Note: I didn't actually test it to verify that it works, but at first glance it looks like it should.

Back