Ovipets

Kesstryl

Ovipets is a pet game focused on genetics and breeding! In OviPets, you and your friends will be able to research new species, splice eggs with new mutations which can then be passed on to their offspring along with their colors and other genetic traits, and raise and care for pets in all the colors of the rainbow. 

Ovipets uses a basic Mendelian Genetics system which involves Punnet Squares.  Pets can carry recessive traits which can show up in successive generations of offspring.  Traits and colors can also be selectively bred by pairing up parents within a certain hexadecimal color range or with certain dominant or recessive traits.  Below is a visual of how the breeding system works:

OvipetsGenetics.jpeg

View full game

I added this game to the Gaming List because it is my absolute favorite breeding pet game.  This Facebook game has the best breeding system I've ever seen in a pet game, and it has kept me breeding successive generations of pets just trying to get "pure" colors and recessive traits to become dominant.  I have been hooked on this game for years, and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.  Feel free to friend me if you decide to play!

I enjoy Ovipets though with how I play games serially, I never get very far.

The breeding is a lot of fun and I like the parts which I haven't seen a ton and enjoy. I have parts on Eliyo too, but we are still pretty limited in the amount and different creatures right now, and I really enjoy the diversity of part options and all the creatures are pretty cool. Just being a breed focused game is neat too and not having to be limited by financially needing food is nice for it.

But having to stay on so frequently or losing them all just doesn't work for me. The first time I had a handful of lines, and was really enjoying it, but then took a break, can't really remember why but that is usually for me, and then all my pets and eggs where gone. Then recently decided to check it out again since it'd been a while. But ended up being busy for a short time, maybe a week, maybe less I really don't remember, and all gone again. So I just can't afford to invest unfortunately.  

I also don't really like the lack of non premium currency. I mean I haven't really tried to sell any creatures, so maybe it is possible, but I'd like there to be a non premium currency so I can earn it and buy other peoples creatures too. I mean does keep me breeding focused looking for finds the adoption center so not all bad though.

• Like 1

@Anoua There is a vacation mode option which you can turn on for when you will be away from the game for extended periods.  It can last for up to a year too (you do have to log in after a year, turn it off, and turn it back on again or it will run out and you will then lose the pets, but a year is a long time to have them on hold).  As long as you are conscientious of turning it on before taking time away from the game, you will keep everything you have in a state of stasis.  You won't be able to breed or feed or do anything else except message friends if you check in, but once you turn off vacation mode, you will have everything exactly as you left it.  You can't use vacation mode for a few days though, it has to be a minimum of one week, or you get charged credits for turning it off early.  They also introduced a subscription option so you can now have unlimited pets that are completely fed during the duration of the subscription period.  That's what I'm currently using to maintain my massive amount of breeding projects and not get carpal tunnel from all the feeding.  I agree with you though about losing the pets.  Before the sub option, if a bunch of them died, I spent credits resurrecting them.  All of them.  That was a lot of egg turning, and also hard on my budget.

Edited by Kesstryl

@Kesstryl

Yeah I saw they had a vacation mode, but that is just not how I play games. I never know when I am going to take a break, sometimes I don't even mean to, just forget. And honestly if I am thinking about it soo much to remember to turn on vacation mode, I am probably in a play streak, and want to be playing. So then I'd run into the ending it and having to pay credits issue you mentioned.

I mean I may be able to make it work/prioritize it so I remember, but at the end of the day, it's a game, and it would just take too much effort and stress to be worth it for me. I would really have to elevate to a level in my life that I don't think any game should be at. That is just me though. For other people it's probably not a big deal to remember or put it into vacation mode anyway. And the game play really is neat.

The subscription option would be nice. I am too cheap for that at the moment but good to know. Seems like it'd be a good option for me if I did decide to play more long term. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Ovipets is pretty fun. So far, the only aspects of gameplay I've gotten into is adopting from the Adoption Center and breeding them together without any particularly ambitious goals other than just getting pets that I find appealing. I mean, I did research a species and generate a pet once, but overall it's not worth it to me to spend credits since I know they're difficult to get apart from spending real money or the "turning other people's eggs" thing, and that latter option I'm also reluctant to get into because I'm not good at getting into the social aspects of games.

I have my quibbles with the game, it's definitely one of those games where you have to do a lot of mindless non-entertaining clicking (to turn eggs and feed pets), but overall it's still a very fun game because of all the different breeding possibilities, and the fact that breeding is essentially its only mechanic has its perks. Like Anoua mentioned, it is nice to not have to worry about other things and just focus on that.

I can definitely see the frustration of keeping all the pets fed or risk losing them. It's not the worst for me because I don't have an enormous number of pets, but I have been frustrated by this in the past. But now I devote slightly more time to virtual pet sites, so it's not as bad. However, I too would never want a game to control my life - if I had so many pets that it took an enormous expenditure of time and effort to feed them, I doubt I would be able to maintain interest in the game. So I think I will try to not accumulate an unmanagable number of animals.

I'm not sure if I will ever play this game "seriously" the way some people do, making projects and doing ambitious goals. Also, it seems to me the "go-to" goal is breeding pure pets, i.e. pets using pure fully-saturated colors such as #FF0000, but I honestly think most pure pets look kinda ugly most of the time except for white and black, especially if they use more than one pure color. It's a pretty universally agreed on principle of graphic design that you don't want to use hyper-saturated colors very heavily in most contexts. It's not really a big deal because obviously I don't have to try to breed pure pets if I don't want to, but it just sort of bothers me on a mental level. I feel like there should usually (though not necessarily always) be some correlation between a pet's "value" and how nice they look. Imagine if on Neopets, Maraquan and Darigan pets were a dime a dozen, but Split pets or basic colors were super valuable. Wouldn't that be a little weird?

There are some okay-looking pure colors (the gem colors look nicer for example) and pure pets can look good. But I guess it just creates some dissonance because so far, my experience with the game has been that one of my favorite things to do is breed pets with interesting and harmonious color schemes, whereas the "objectively" valuable pets are usually kinda garish. I know this sounds overly negative and it's not that big a deal, but it's just a complaint I have. Unlike on Neopets, I don't really have a "de facto goal" (which on Neopets would be a cool painted pet) because I already know I don't like pures.

It's not a completely bad thing though. For the most part, I like to be just focused on breeding pets that I personally like regardless of their "value". It just makes me feel a little more discouraged from pursuing this game more heavily I guess.

(I didn't see anything in the rules against replying to an old topic, so hopefully this is OK!)