Idea for a wolf sim

This is literally a thought I just had while in the bathroom, but what about a wolf sim that's "alive"? These are the ideas I had:

• User customizes their own wolf and starts out in a pack
    • There a possibility for two or three users to be in the same pack together. Otherwise it is NPC run.
    • Users will have to be responsible and do things like help with hunting, caring for pups, and defending the territory or else they can be at risk for being expelled from the pack.
  • The NPCs aren't static, and they live according to the conditions of their territory, how much food is available, the seasons, etc.
  • Each NPC is generated with their own personality
  • The users would be able to fight with the NPCs (or each other in some cases) for the alpha position.
    • From there, they can finally make decisions that determine the survival of the pack.
      • Since NPCs aren't static, they can challenge you and you can lose your place.
  • The user could be expelled from a pack, where they have to take care of themselves or find another pack
    • Or find a mate and start a pack, but this is much more difficult.
  • Packs can become rivals or allies with each other
    • Possibly wars?
  • Perhaps each pack/user/NPC has a certain number of "moves"  or actions per day (like 5)
    • Users can leave, but the world would go on without them.

Of course, this isn't completely fleshed out; but what do you guys think? Would you want to play something like this? What would be some of your ideas? I'm busy with Foodbabs right now, but I'm seriously considering acting on this in the future.

It's definitely an interesting idea. I always love game with wolves in them, which is why I'm creating my own. It's different than what I've played in some other wolf games and different than my own, which is good. I mostly like the idea of being part of a team, like you don't know which players you might be paired with, but it would interesting to see how it went anyways. It sounds like it would be a challenge. Though if a pack does consist of various members' wolves, just keep in mind that if fights have to be won for dominance that it is fair to the players that may be from different time zones. As in, I just won the alpha spot, went to bed, and then woke up just to find out that I lost it and had no way to defend it. 

If you need or have the ability to hire an artist, I would love to help out since wolf art is quite a forte of mine, and I'm sure I'd be able to create some neat things :3

• Like 1

I didn't think about timezones. Maybe there would be a few weeks cooldown, so users aren't losing their positions left and right, especially if there's a situation where there are more users in a pack than NPCs.

I actually plan on doing the wolf art myself, I've been itching for an opportunity to take a break from Foodbabs's cartoony style and go back to my normal one :P 

• Like 1

I literally have this project in the works - ha! Great minds think alike!

If you are interested in joining/partnering on this project, let me know! I was finishing up the equine version first (Lemorsea), but id get my artist started sooner if I knew there was interest.

Edited by Vix
added more

Sure thing!

My concept has a heavier story-line/fantasy twist than your description here, but certainly includes many of the main points you've got listed! I intended on starting to work out initial designs (similar to www.Lemorsea.com) around the first of the year. The programming is essentially done, however.

Looks like our ideas are a bit different then. While it will have some fantasy elements, there isn't a very heavy storyline (though there will be one to get things started, the AI could turn things in unexpected directions), the art style is dramatically different too:

Spoiler

wolf_base_w_i_p_by_hoafan-dbj0how.png

(My half-done drawing)

Maybe our sites could co-exist then?

Edited by Dinocanid
Image was broken

13 hours ago, Dinocanid said:

Looks like our ideas are a bit different then. While it will have some fantasy elements, there isn't a very heavy storyline (though there will be one to get things started, the AI could turn things in unexpected directions), the art style is dramatically different too:

Reveal hidden contents

wolf_base_w_i_p_by_hoafan-dbj0how.png

(My half-done drawing)

Maybe our sites could co-exist then?

Of course they could co-exist! I am happy to have multiple options in a market. In all honestly, most players would be interested in both games :) Good luck to you! I will be watching for your development updates.

• Like 1

This sounds like a neat idea! The AI part of it all especially sounds interesting, especially where your pack is mostly NPCs. Seems like it would work well with the constant fight for dominance. 

Wish I was as productive with coming up with ideas during my bathroom trips as you are! :laugh:

Really like this idea, especially with NPC making it competitive as well and not just players.  Love the pack wars since in the wild they do attack if they feel that the pack is weak in numbers due to the howling before doing so to gain more territory.

I've decided to call my little project Wild Souls, and I made a trello board for it! (Clicky) There you can read more fleshed out ideas for the site and what I'm currently working on.

You also may or may not have seen a screenshot of it from my "Rendering Pets as Layers" topic. (Special thanks to @Digital and @Hare!)

Spoiler

6121302820913152.png?k=BYDuYoFEgCxBacU99

Edited by Dinocanid
  • Like 2