Show off what you are working on

Digital

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been pretty busy with my new design job (super happy about that still xD) so everything I did lately are stuff I can't disclose yet. But I guess I've been writing /editing my novel (a YA cyberpunk fantasy) so I guess it counts? 

Anyways here's a snippet of my writing. The main character, Mona, is a magician with healing abilities but she works for a crime /black market cartel boss named Vee. 

The reception area is empty so I dash into the bathroom on the right. The water trickles out cold when I run the tap, and, dunking my face in the water, my energy slowly returns. But my bones are tired and my heart is weary. The day’s catching up with me; from the meeting with Dr. Reese and the talk with Delaney to Vee.

While the water drains, swirling into a funnel, the front door opens and light footfalls echo on the floor. A man by the weight of the footsteps, and with a sense of urgency unlike any other person who I’ve heard come through the doors.

“Be right there.” I call, drying my face with my shirt and stumbling back to the room. “We’re taking appointments-”

I stop mid-sentence the moment I glance at the man who walked in. Tall, lanky, covered in dirt. Once blonde hair now matted with grease and muck.

“I believe I have an appointment,” the man says. “With Vee.”

His accent makes me pause in my steps. It’s Aspherian, no doubt about it. But what is an Aspherian doing here all of places? Asking for Vee? Was he a spy? Even though he doesn’t look like one, he could very well be a capitol spy.

“We don’t serve Aspherians here.” I cross my arms. “At least not without a background check.”

“I spoke to Vee about ah, a month ago-”

“How did you contact him?”

The man stares at me like I’m stupid. “Through the net.”

“And how did you know about us?” I ask warily. Keeping my eyes trained on him, I turn on the hover screen by the receptionist’s desk. Scanning through the correspondence, I find nothing of a meeting tonight other than the ones already booked. “Today you say? A meeting?”

“Yes, of the utmost importance.”

My brows furrow. With a single flick of my fingers, I scan through the general correspondence dating back a month ago. The lines of text and fields shine into my eyes and they seem to merge into one never-ending page. And yet there it is – a small note signed off with the letter V.

Note to self, schedule meeting on 06-29.

No names. No purpose. No contact information either. It’s not exactly Vee’s SOP. Glancing up from the screen, with the blue glow of the monitor glaring in my face, I stare at the man. “Your name. Now.”

“It’s-” the man starts.

“--You’re in luck, Dylan.” The door to Vee’s office opens, and Dylan lumbers out with Vee behind him. “Such curious development it is,” Vee is saying. “I must mull it over.”

“Best you do,” Dylan rumbles. “Things a ‘changing, boss.”

“Yes. I-” Vee stops, seeing the newcomer for the very first time. His face turns white and his posture stiffens. He shoots me a glare. “Mona. How long has Silas been here, standing? Why did you not let me know he was here?”

“I-” I say, startled. “He-”

The newcomer – Silas – clears his throat. “Hello Vee,” he says. “I can’t tell you the relief it brings me to see my old friend again.”

I hope you guys like this :) I'm super proud of it, haha.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2017 at 0:51 AM, Cadence said:

I've been pretty busy with my new design job (super happy about that still xD) so everything I did lately are stuff I can't disclose yet. But I guess I've been writing /editing my novel (a YA cyberpunk fantasy) so I guess it counts? 

Anyways here's a snippet of my writing. The main character, Mona, is a magician with healing abilities but she works for a crime /black market cartel boss named Vee. 

I hope you guys like this :) I'm super proud of it, haha.

I reaallllyyy enjoyed this excerpt :)

I'm very picky with what I read and sometimes, if the writing is atrocious enough, I will not only stop reading the book halfway through--but I'll throw it away. Even though your story was only a fraction of your whole book it kept my attention for the entirety of it. Keep at it!

18 hours ago, Nova said:

I reaallllyyy enjoyed this excerpt :)

I'm very picky with what I read and sometimes, if the writing is atrocious enough, I will not only stop reading the book halfway through--but I'll throw it away. Even though your story was only a fraction of your whole book it kept my attention for the entirety of it. Keep at it!

Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed it :D I'm always nervous sharing my writing haha, which is why I guess I don't do it often. 

I'm currently on my 4th draft of my manuscript (80k words; I'm an underwriter... trying to hit 90k with this final revision). About to start agenting + querying in September, so the nerves are coming out even more now. 

On 7/31/2017 at 1:55 PM, Cadence said:

Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed it :D I'm always nervous sharing my writing haha, which is why I guess I don't do it often. 

I'm currently on my 4th draft of my manuscript (80k words; I'm an underwriter... trying to hit 90k with this final revision). About to start agenting + querying in September, so the nerves are coming out even more now. 

Definitely let me know how that goes! I've always been interested about the process of finding an agent. I hope it goes really well!

• 2 months later...

image.png.52087a11592e16b80a38b877c0baf1f4.png

1st sketch. Started with insects and water in mind, turned out mammalian. XD
They're omnivorous but mostly eat plantfood. Insects on the side and any meat they can scavenge. They make horrible fishers so forget fish. They live in small groups and live a semi-nomadic life. Moving around ensures the aquatic plants they eat can grow back.
They're rithm loving creatures and occasionally come together for rituals, dancing and drumming and tapping on their bellies.

Predators are often chased away by their loud beats.

Now I've just got to refine the concept before making a full colour piece.

Edited by Ouli
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd show avatar art that I made using a hybrid of traditional and digital art for my old school RPG game.  In trying to keep with the archaic feel of being old school, I'm experimenting.  I have an NPC that also sketches (will eventually be responsible for all the art on site) but I'm still toying with doing actual full digital dragon art in the future and keeping the sketch versions in the NPC sketchbook).  Here is Gilmaenas the Wizard's beginning additions to his sketch diary of everything in the world:

Arcane Dragon, Ranger Dragon, and Warrior Dragon:

Arcane Dragon Small.png

Ranger Dragon Small.png

Warrior Dragon Small.png

Edited by Kesstryl
typo
  • Like 2