Thoughts On Banning Discussions About Other Games?

This is going to be a bit of a rant, but if there's one common thing that pet sites do that I absolutely despise, it's when they ban any and all mentions of other pet sites on their forums. Chicken Smoothie, Lioden and Wolvden are some of the most active pet sites around, yet they believe in this frankly damaging idea that mentioning competition will drive their playerbase out of the game and to their competitor. That usually doesn't happen unless your game sucks or you know your game sucks enough if you think people will hoof it the moment they hear of any other game like it. ?

The market for pet sites is becoming more and more scarce and I honestly think it's because adults and kids alike believe that only Flight Rising, Chicken Smoothie and Neopets are the only pet sites that exist, and it's no wonder why! You can't talk about any other site. I think this mentality should stop, but that's just me. 

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Chicken Smoothie(where I find all my pet sims) actually allows discussion of other pet sims, but yes it's quite annoying and it comes off as insecurity whether or not that's the actual intention to me.

It also depends on platform, I've been on many discords and they typically allow it under gaming.

Edited by AlphaCursed
New info

5 minutes ago, MasterDaye said:

When I tried advertising The Final Outpost on Chicken Smoothie, I got my topic deleted. Maybe CS sees advertising and discussing pet sites to be different? I dunno.

Which is odd cause I had a Lucky Lapine thread that as gone on for awhile

2 minutes ago, MasterDaye said:

I probably did something wrong on that thread (it probably was the title). x) 

But yeah, Lioden and Wolvden have the strictest rule set of any pet site. What they do does more harm than good.

Just remembered, both are +16 and they have adult boards? So maybe they expect us to find games elsewhere idk 

25 minutes ago, AlphaCursed said:

Just remembered, both are +16 and they have adult boards? So maybe they expect us to find games elsewhere idk 

It wouldn't make much sense if it were a 10+ site or a 35+ site. Those games have a 0 tolerance rule with discussing other sites in the chatbox and forums. The only time you can "advertise" a site is through your profile page, which hardly anyone pays attention to. 

• 2 weeks later...

Im not in competition with anyone- so I allow it.. as well as advertising those other games- Heck I even allow those game owners to make a mini world on my site to advertise their game if they want!

I dont get the super competitive nature of pet sites to be honest...

we all have something unique to bring to the table..