"User Shops" - Opening Times

Hi All,

I've just finished coding the "Trading" section of The Lost Fable, and now I'm working on the Markets (aka "User Shops").

One unique twist on Markets (to wet your appetite) is that you can set 1 or more of your shops (yes, users can have multiple) to "public" or "clan". If you set it as a Clan Shop, it will be integrated within your clan, and you and your other Clan Members (Clan = Guilds) can merge into Shopping Malls, and in turn, restock each others shops. ALL profits from Clan Markets are equally distributed between all Clan Members that have an authorised Clan Shop (Clan owner must authorise).

Aaaanyway, onto what I actually want to discuss in this thread:

One thing I've thought of while starting developing it, is how much it would cost to run. In the real world you would pay rent, upkeep, staff wages etc, so there would be an ongoing continuous cost involved. To simplify this cost, I have decided to make it so that as a Shop Owner you must pay a % of all profits from sales.

As a unique twist on this, I'm also going to allow you as a shop owner, to set your shop's opening hours.

My thoughts on opening hours are as follows:

- A user may only purchase an item from a shop if the shop is currently "open".
- A shop may be visited while it is closed, however the user will be advised the times the shop is open and closed.
- For each sale made, a percentage of that sale is deducted from the total paid.
- The longer you set your opening hours to.. the higher the percentage you will pay.

So this would be something like:

Time shop is open per day => Percent paid from each sale
1 hour => 1%
2 hours => 2%
5 hours => 5%
8 hours => 8%
12 hours => 12%
24 hours => 24%

The above values are just examples - I'll need to figure out the exact percentage (probably much less than that).

But assuming those are the percentages:

If you own a shop that is open for 1 hour per day, and a user purchases an item from your shop that costs 1,000 gold... 10 gold is paid in shop upkeep.
If you own a shop that is open for 5 hours per day, and a user purchases and item that costs 1,000 gold... 50 gold is paid..
16 hours for a 1,000 gold item would charge you 160 gold of that purchase.. etc.

I'm also going to code into the shops detailed analytics for the shop owner, so that they can see which times of the day are profitable for them, which times of the day people have visited but their shop was closed (lost a potential sale) etc. This would allow the shop owner to make decisions about which times of the day their shop should be open.

From a "Hardcore player" standpoint.. those that like to "maximise"....
Since I'm going to make it so that you make own an unlimited number of shops (each costing more to create), In theory, the most "profitable" way to maintain the lowest percentage, but always be open.. would be to own 24 shops, one for every hour, all restocking the same items.... but that would require alot of dedication etc..

Still things here im thinking about, but i really like the idea of opening times affecting how much the owner pays...

Thoughts?

Edited by NateTube
  • Like 1

Hmm, initial thought is... ouch.

As a player, to be limited in when or how I can sell items to avoid being taxed is a turn off. If I were an economist, I would love it, if I were a casual player, it would be painful. I don't mind there being a fee to sell items, but that fee being based on hours is painful for me upon initial understanding.

Multiple shops also seem to be a little much, as a instant gratification seeking player, maintaining a single store will be almost too much, multiple stores will be draining. I do like the idea of the clan store for a clan based profit system. You will have to figure out how to make it fair, so clans don't have clan members that hang on for the ride but never participate.

It also limits potential players from participating with other players in other geographical timezones to a certain extent, or makes it hard unless you really play the hardcore game. As a casual player it doesn't feel accessible.

-- Now - that being said.

Considering the ideas, the idea of store hours is redeemable as a feature to add roleplay, but limits things by adding fee's to time in a world that essentially doesn't stop. Does it make more sense to base your fees on store size versus hours available. Bigger stores are fee'd higher then smaller stores. As a casual player, I may eat a higher fee rather then have 24 small stores to avoid the fee. It is still accessible for either, and just as satisfying for both, while not limiting economy by time unless the owner chooses to do so.

I do really like the idea of Clan based shops though.

After coming back to read this idea I wrote, and expecially after reading your post, I can see how much of a negative thing this would be for my game.

I kinda just posted it here when it was a brainspark, without really considering the full implications of it haha.

Thats for your input on this, I'm thinking it wise to not go down the route of opening times :D:D

On 5/4/2017 at 1:38 PM, Nate said:

Hi All,

I've just finished coding the "Trading" section of The Lost Fable, and now I'm working on the Markets (aka "User Shops").

One unique twist on Markets (to wet your appetite) is that you can set 1 or more of your shops (yes, users can have multiple) to "public" or "clan". If you set it as a Clan Shop, it will be integrated within your clan, and you and your other Clan Members (Clan = Guilds) can merge into Shopping Malls, and in turn, restock each others shops. ALL profits from Clan Markets are equally distributed between all Clan Members that have an authorised Clan Shop (Clan owner must authorise).

Aaaanyway, onto what I actually want to discuss in this thread:

One thing I've thought of while starting developing it, is how much it would cost to run. In the real world you would pay rent, upkeep, staff wages etc, so there would be an ongoing continuous cost involved. To simplify this cost, I have decided to make it so that as a Shop Owner you must pay a % of all profits from sales.

As a unique twist on this, I'm also going to allow you as a shop owner, to set your shop's opening hours.

My thoughts on opening hours are as follows:

- A user may only purchase an item from a shop if the shop is currently "open".
- A shop may be visited while it is closed, however the user will be advised the times the shop is open and closed.
- For each sale made, a percentage of that sale is deducted from the total paid.
- The longer you set your opening hours to.. the higher the percentage you will pay.

So this would be something like:

Time shop is open per day => Percent paid from each sale
1 hour => 1%
2 hours => 2%
5 hours => 5%
8 hours => 8%
12 hours => 12%
24 hours => 24%

The above values are just examples - I'll need to figure out the exact percentage (probably much less than that).

But assuming those are the percentages:

If you own a shop that is open for 1 hour per day, and a user purchases an item from your shop that costs 1,000 gold... 10 gold is paid in shop upkeep.
If you own a shop that is open for 5 hours per day, and a user purchases and item that costs 1,000 gold... 50 gold is paid..
16 hours for a 1,000 gold item would charge you 160 gold of that purchase.. etc.

I'm also going to code into the shops detailed analytics for the shop owner, so that they can see which times of the day are profitable for them, which times of the day people have visited but their shop was closed (lost a potential sale) etc. This would allow the shop owner to make decisions about which times of the day their shop should be open.

From a "Hardcore player" standpoint.. those that like to "maximise"....
Since I'm going to make it so that you make own an unlimited number of shops (each costing more to create), In theory, the most "profitable" way to maintain the lowest percentage, but always be open.. would be to own 24 shops, one for every hour, all restocking the same items.... but that would require alot of dedication etc..

Still things here im thinking about, but i really like the idea of opening times affecting how much the owner pays...

Thoughts?

@Nate: This sounds like a really good idea. :) It feels like this would mimic a realistic shop there will still be some challenges though. One of the problems is how does one keep the shop open for 1 hr in each of the different timezones around the world. Will shops be allowed to be closed on a daily, weekly, or even monthly basis?

I am certain the percentages may need to be tweeked a bit to achieve the correct performance of the system. Perhaps I may even try to implement something like this to my own shops. :)

On 5/4/2017 at 3:51 PM, Digital said:

Hmm, initial thought is... ouch.

As a player, to be limited in when or how I can sell items to avoid being taxed is a turn off. If I were an economist, I would love it, if I were a casual player, it would be painful. I don't mind there being a fee to sell items, but that fee being based on hours is painful for me upon initial understanding.

Multiple shops also seem to be a little much, as a instant gratification seeking player, maintaining a single store will be almost too much, multiple stores will be draining. I do like the idea of the clan store for a clan based profit system. You will have to figure out how to make it fair, so clans don't have clan members that hang on for the ride but never participate.

It also limits potential players from participating with other players in other geographical timezones to a certain extent, or makes it hard unless you really play the hardcore game. As a casual player it doesn't feel accessible.

-- Now - that being said.

Considering the ideas, the idea of store hours is redeemable as a feature to add roleplay, but limits things by adding fee's to time in a world that essentially doesn't stop. Does it make more sense to base your fees on store size versus hours available. Bigger stores are fee'd higher then smaller stores. As a casual player, I may eat a higher fee rather then have 24 small stores to avoid the fee. It is still accessible for either, and just as satisfying for both, while not limiting economy by time unless the owner chooses to do so.

I do really like the idea of Clan based shops though.

@Digial: I think there is some features like you mentioned that could be improved though. Still I do like the idea of things. I also like the idea of multiple shops as it is not done very often.

• Like 1