Where do you get your inspiration for games from?

Digital

I get my inspiration both from games and real life activities/hobbies. With games, I am inspired by certain elements (like flying mechanics) and am inspired to make something similar. I also get inspiration from the real life activities and hobbies I (or others) enjoy. 

• Like 1

I would have to say I get inspired most by nature and existing animals. I love learning about the unique qualities species possess and why is it they evolved to have that trait. Looking toward real things is what helps me come up with fantasy worlds.

I also get inspired when I look at various art forms, such as the good stories I find in some books and the visual representations of stories I see in drawings. Film may be one of my favorite artistic mediums, because the way stories must be told in films is unique. Dialogue must be concise and purposeful as well as any narration that is included, yet the visual aids do some work as well. When I watch a good film, the different pieces of it stick with me longer than I experience with any other art form.

I am not a die-hard Studio Ghibli fan (in fact, Arrietty was the first movie I saw from that studio, and I didn't connect with it), but Spirited Away was a story that stayed with me for days, and I knew when I saw it that that was the kind of impact I wanted to have on people. I had always wanted to create that emotion in a person and do it in the same fantastic and strange way, so encountering a movie that was what I dreamed my creations would be like was an inspiring experience.

Because I love film and because I love worldbuilding and storytelling, I love the idea of having cutscenes and having a story unfold in some way in game form. That is what I intend to work into my current project.

Lastly, I am of course inspired by other games! I love interesting gameplay that makes me problem solve or pay attention to details. I love uncovering mysteries and finding hidden things. One game that I think was wonderfully done was Zelda's Majora's Mask, because it gave a world to discover beyond the main storyline.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SingSong said:

Spirited Away was a story that stayed with me for days

I don't know about what it was with that movie, but having only seen it once now almost 8 years ago or so, I can still vividly remember parts of it like yesterday.

Eight years ago? Seems like we're both due to watch it again. I also liked Ponyo, and Kiki's Delivery Service was cute.

But as far as imaginative worlds in film go, I found Avatar and the Croods to be sources of inspiration. When it comes to darker themes, I liked Mad Max and that waiting room scene in Beetlejuice (I don't know why that always comes to my mind, but it's an interesting twist on the idea of the afterlife).