Hare

Player Submitted Art (Discussion)

Blix
LV 10

Question for anyone with feedback on the topic of user submitted artwork. How do you handle user submitted art content? 
Don't have to answer all these, I'm just throwing some questions out there to get the thinking juices flowing!

1. How do you prevent or deal with art theft or copyright infringement, such as players uploading an obscure anime character, OC, or logo and then staff not noticing until it's been on the site?

2. What's the ideal interface for the process? What's the best way (you think) a site could go about allowing user submitted art? What kind of templates, information, or file submission system would you want in a feature like this?

3. What rules/copyright terms are important to include in this? Copyright stuff for the images themselves, plus game rules for how the players can expect to use the art (preventing community issues that could be caused by the feature).

4. What are the best practical application? Players being able to upload a full pet image, or just markings? Any markings, or specific markings? Items? Any other ideas that stand out to you? And how are they used?

5. Exclussitivity. What uploaded stuff (if any) should be exclussive to the player, or be available to all players? 

6. What kind of rewards/payment are good for this?

7. If a site has breeding, would you allow it with the user content or not? If yes, how?

8. Is it better to A) have a syustem that pays players (similar to staff) to create more content that matches the site, or B ) a system where players pay to have their own personalized uploads. Or both?

Edited by Hare

So for Venturepets (we aren’t up yet) my plan is to have a few weekly contests regarding user submitted items, pet colors etc. I love the art community and there are players with great talent to not only help the site grow but also showcase their art to many. 

Im doing an increasing trophy count for items, a creative trophy and avatars and access to certain events before everyone based on certain criteria.

We are building a backend for submissions and really I’d just double check images via google reverse search or stuff is Blantant theft from something I’d just reject. 

I def want to reward players for participating in any art event 

pay wose i am I am commission some artists for various things as I can. Right now my focus is mainly coding the basics.

Edited by Jinjojin
Added in more info

I’ve been working on and think about this issue for a bit too. So far what I’ve got is:

To help prevent copyright infringement/ help protect yourself in case it inevitably happens you can require the user to check off an acknowledgement saying something like  “By clicking this acknowledgement  I verify that I own the image I am uploading or have written consent and to upload it to this site”. Additionally, it should be written in your terms of service that you don’t own user uploaded images and users should not upload images to the site that they do not own or have permission to use. Also to help staff notice infringing images quicker make sure you provide a clear way for users of the site to report the images of others.

Another option, if you’d like to monitor the uploaded images even closer, is to have all user uploaded images have to be accepted by a staff member before they show up on the site.

Edited by Kintori