The Coronavirus Outbreak (COVID-19)

Martyn

So as many of you might've seen around the world, there is a virus called COVID-19 (also simply known as Coronavirus) which is causing a massive problem for the world in terms of the health of the general population but also an economic issue which almost certainly will have a lasting effect on money in the business sector.

Whilst this is all going on, I've not noticed many discussions about how it's been affecting people from a personal persective.
So with that in mind I'd like to talk about how it's affecting me and would like to hear how it's been affecting you. I stay in the Northern area of Fife in Scotland which is fairly isolated in the grand scheme of things, but around 40 mins from where I am was the first diagnosed case of this disease in my country and since then there has been a few other individuals diagnosed. My college doesn't have any set idea of what their plan is if the Coronavirus starts to take more of a prominent role in the area and I personally haven't planned anything if it starts to strike locally to me. I guess I'd be more likely to decide what to do as things develop, what about you guys? What's been happening in your life in relation to the virus?

It isn't really affecting me personally :x I live in the USA and I am not worried about it at all. I feel a lot of people are overreacting. Not due to the impact it is having on the economy but people being paranoid about getting sick. We had 2 cases in my state. You have to be smart and take precautions like with any other disease.

For those who have to deal with the public on a daily basis and don't have the luxury of avoiding them, those are the ones I feel bad for. Good thoughts your way and hope you don't catch it or the flu. ❤️

I wasn't worried but the school my mum works for, two of their partner schools (that they see a few times a week), one is confirmed and the one is being tested.

Me, my mum and brother all have underlying medical conditions that designate us 'at risk'.

This is in the UK.

30 minutes ago, Tmra said:

Me, my mum and brother all have underlying medical conditions that designate us 'at risk'.

Sorry to hear that. My partner does too. We have supplies so we won't have to go to crowded areas like stores for awhile, but we're still a bit worried. We have two cases within 20 minutes of us right now in the US and it seems like it's shaping up to be very contagious. Best of luck to you, I hope you and your family don't get sick!

50+ Positive cases have been so far in my country and i have prepared to tackle the upcoming pandemic by stocking up few items like :-

n-95 Mask

Sanitizer (60%+ Alcohol)

Paracetamol & Vitamin-C medicines ( Found to be helpful in curing from coronavirus)

Essential food stock and water cans for upto 3 months.

Planned to move to our town home which is in isolated area of desert , this is all because we already know that our country medical facilities is not upto the par and it would be all over mess once it starts to spread out at speed , people don't have enough knowledge in our country and government is hiding the potential of virus by stating "Mask" is not necessary for people to wear , only infected one should wear it.

I had few friends in china and the last that i could hear from them is that china is censoring out the real reports and hiding the real count of deaths and infected people , even trump compares covid-19 to a Flu ?

I Wish all of you good luck and a healthy life and be in contact with all of us :) just stock up some medicine like paracetamol,vitamin c tablets and mask ^^

Edited by SilverBrick

@Tmra Ugh, I am so sorry you are at risk and this is probably quite scary for you and your family! Do you have to do any special prep or activities to keep yourself extra protected?

@SilverBrick Actually, it IS only the infected who should wear masks, especially with a shortage. If you're curious to learn more I can link you to some information! Keep some on hand in case you do get sick and need to go out, but using a mask just to have it on won't help. ;( If you end up moving over to your hometown during this, wish you the best of luck!

The governor of the state I live in (US) has been trying to cover up and delay actual numbers of those infected and on the watch list, but it's already spread across the state and reached my city.

I'm young and healthy enough to get over it if I caught it, but I feel awful for people with weak immune systems and older people.

Stores have been wild with people panic shopping and clearing out shelves, which now leaves those people who need health and cleaning supplies without any more. ? Retail stores will likely be late with restocking enough to meet the demands.

• Sad 1

On 3/5/2020 at 2:13 PM, WLeonhart said:

Sorry to hear that. My partner does too. We have supplies so we won't have to go to crowded areas like stores for awhile, but we're still a bit worried. We have two cases within 20 minutes of us right now in the US and it seems like it's shaping up to be very contagious. Best of luck to you, I hope you and your family don't get sick!

Thank you, all the best to you and your family too.

On 3/7/2020 at 12:51 PM, Tinkerbell said:

@Tmra Ugh, I am so sorry you are at risk and this is probably quite scary for you and your family! Do you have to do any special prep or activities to keep yourself extra protected?

@SilverBrick Actually, it IS only the infected who should wear masks, especially with a shortage. If you're curious to learn more I can link you to some information! Keep some on hand in case you do get sick and need to go out, but using a mask just to have it on won't help. ;( If you end up moving over to your hometown during this, wish you the best of luck!

I've stockpiled long life food, some hand sanitizers (alcohol hand gel and hand wash), gloves, etc.

Basically even if this eases up I won't need to buy anything imported for a few months and can just live off the freezer and cupboard. I also have a few extra inhalers kicking about just in case my health gets worse.

@Tmra I am glad you have something in place ❤️

I got curious and looked today - there is a map you can watch to see where the virus is spreading. Handy if you want to keep an eye on how close it may be to where you live.

Can view it here.

Currently we have 173 and all in the largest city about 6 hours away. There is also a running toll of how many people are sick, recovered, and even those who died.

UK here! The Government is still keeping calm for now, but I don’t think that will last long as cases are increasing rapidly lately!

The whole situation hasn’t affected me personally for now (thankfully!) but I can just imagine how bad it will become when eventually schools will have to be closed down and other gathering places. University is extremely important to me, and I had to fight to get into it, so having to stop going to Uni will be extremely sad. 

Also, annoyingly, as other people have already mentioned, people have been stockpiling and buying out all kind of things here. Extremely annoying, as I can’t seem to find hand sanitisers anymore!

My thoughts are out to Italy (where I am originally from) and I wish them the best - hope they will get on top of this mess ❤️

@Tmra
I'm the same in that I have two chronic conditions which I believe would make me be classed as being at risk (Asthma and hEDS). Both my parents have conditions which would probably put them in the risk bracket, I'd originally been planning to travel to America at the end of June until halfway through July but this is putting a real strain on me wanting to even board the plane.

On 3/13/2020 at 2:55 AM, Martyn said:

@Tmra
I'm the same in that I have two chronic conditions which I believe would make me be classed as being at risk (Asthma and hEDS). Both my parents have conditions which would probably put them in the risk bracket, I'd originally been planning to travel to America at the end of June until halfway through July but this is putting a real strain on me wanting to even board the plane.

Stay safe!

I actually have asthma, chronic fatigue syndrome and Hypermobility Syndrome so I can understand where you are coming from. My sister has hEDS though. Apart from that it's high blood pressure and diabetes predominantly with my brother and mum.

At the end of the day do what is best for you and your health.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2020 at 7:48 AM, Tmra said:

Stay safe!

I actually have asthma, chronic fatigue syndrome and Hypermobility Syndrome so I can understand where you are coming from. My sister has hEDS though. Apart from that it's high blood pressure and diabetes predominantly with my brother and mum.

At the end of the day do what is best for you and your health.

Oh for sure, doing my best to stay safe.
I've only been going out with my mum to get shopping when we need it, usually buying around 3 days worth of dinners so we don't have to go out as often. We are trying our best to go to small local farm shops in order to evade a lot of the crowds too.

Hope all is well on your end just now since it's been a little while since I was free enough to get on here. ?

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in Michigan, in the USA. Like, when it was announced, it was actually fine here. People seemed pretty obedient to the request to stay at home, shut business, social distancing and all that jazz, but people still bought things out at stores like mad. After about a month, it's only become worse here. People holding riots and protests, claiming their freedom is being taken from them and non-sense like that, while doctors are struggling heavily to try and keep things under control.  It even became super bad here at one point where the protests blocked major roads for ambulances to get to and from hospitals, so honestly, I've been stressed as heck and thus cooping myself up more than usual. 

For family, we had a couple of us get sick but recovered, but my mother is still sick, but with just a cough so they won't test her and it's been hell trying to find a doctor who will put forth a bit more effort to see what's wrong. Both my parents are at high risk, so it's scary. I also had a close friend who has a whole other plethora of issues from respiratory problems to MS and spinal issues and she got covid and we all nearly flipped out. On the upside, they did let her go home after a few days for she slowly started to recover, so that was good at least.

Job wise, it's been a nightmare. I generally work from home as is, but I can't file for unemployment because I don't have "official certificates" of my job title, so...that's another can of worms right there. Luckily, my husband was able to get the unemployment, but his job can't decide yet if they want people coming back starting May 5th or not given that stay at home notice has been extended to May 15th, which doesn't surprise.

It's honestly scary here with the lack of care from people as well as how to make up for the financial losses. I was lucky enough to get a break on my loans for a bit of time, but even then, many of our bills are still expecting to be paid despite the either lack of work or heavy drop in work. We're holding out here as best as we can and at least making use of the time to spend together since it's just my husband and myself stuck at home with our two dogs and our cat. We do the best we can and we'll figure things out on a day to day basis. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hope everything is okay with you Aminirus. Your situation sounds so scary and there are multiple frustrations there and I can't imagine being in that situation.

I'm over in the UK and in terms of the working environment I am able to work from home and my mum and brother are just completely home from work and are furloughed. Unfortunately one of my family members has passed away from COVID-19, which was a shock. The funeral is probably going to be at least a month away, but we have started keeping in touch now with more distant family so, it's a strange world right now.

Yeah, scary for sure. Luckily, things seem to have calmed to a degree, enough at least that my family is fine. Finally found a doctor that would/could see my mother and turns out she has bronchitis...so joy, but at least it's not Covid. Otherwise, we've been doing our part and staying cooped up, turning into hermits and only going out to really walk our dogs. 

I'm sorry for your loss Tmra. My condolences. It is a strange world right now for sure.