Console/PC Game Pass Subscriptions vs Owning The Game.

GeekGirl

So despite not playing a ton of console games, I finally upgraded from my XBOX 360 to an XBOX ONE S about a year ago. I have a 4K TV and while I don't do any gaming in 4K really, I wanted it for it's ability to do 4K HDR BRD.

After a bit of juggling, a free trial and such, I ended up converting 3 months of xbox game pass I was gifted, and my 6 month subscription to XBOX LIVE GOLD, into a 9 month Subscription to the XBOX/PC Game Pass and on top of this I have the EA Game pass for XBOX.

But when talking about this with a friend earlier, I realize I actually own all the games I play. Some I bought new, most I bought when they went down in price.

So I guess my question is, do you prefer to pay a monthly subscription for game access or to own a physical (or digital) copy of a game that you can walk away with in the end?

I also have XBOX Game Pass, partially due to the upgrade window, and also because I already had it when I tried to renew my Gold account.  That being said, I personally prefer to just straight up buy the games because I rarely play and would like to be able to continue playing even if I stop paying.

I have a mixture of both physical and digital games.  I recently bought at 512 GB MicroSD card (didn't realize there was such a thing) for my Switch for all fo the games and the updates that go along with it.

Just now, judda said:

I recently bought at 512 GB MicroSD card (didn't realize there was such a thing)

Once they broke the 200GB Barrier, The available sizes skyrocketed and the prices fell like crazy. I just bought a Two-Pack of 128GB Sandisk Extreme Plus Micro SD cards (U3, A2, V30) cards for $45.00. It wasn't long ago that I spent $45 on a 64GB card and thought it a great investment.

7 minutes ago, GeekGirl said:

Once they broke the 200GB Barrier, The available sizes skyrocketed and the prices fell like crazy. I just bought a Two-Pack of 128GB Sandisk Extreme Plus Micro SD cards (U3, A2, V30) cards for $45.00. It wasn't long ago that I spent $45 on a 64GB card and thought it a great investment.

Geez - I remember when I was buying a 64 GB USD key thinking "this is huge" had it was likely more than that.

For my son the XBox Game pass for the XBOX One has proved worth it since he does have a few he plays on there a lot but also checks out many new ones. Or at least, he did in the first year - I should verify this now. ?

However - I recently dropped my EA pass (shortly after they added a higher version of it). I was mostly just playing the Dragon Age series and I calculated it was cheaper just to buy those than to keep paying for the subscription so after a few years I finally cancelled.