What's your least favourite thing to code?

judda

Ugh yeah very true, at least Laravel makes it a /ton/ easier with the form requests.

For me, the thing that always drags me down is implementing forums - they are such boring code but can sometimes be overly complicated which sucks especially when looking to improve things, and make it work with things like quoting (with pseudo-references).

19 minutes ago, judda said:

Ugh yeah very true, at least Laravel makes it a /ton/ easier with the form requests.

For me, the thing that always drags me down is implementing forums - they are such boring code but can sometimes be overly complicated which sucks especially when looking to improve things, and make it work with things like quoting (with pseudo-references).

Text manipulation and parsing is a pain, agreed.

• Like 1

Agreeing that form submission / validation  and forum are tedious.

Though the worst for me is CSS and layout compatibility/responsiveness... having to test out how it looks on all different devices, browsers, get t all perfectly balanced to any screen size and still look good.

Edited by Hare

I am very particular with how a website works, so I feel the need to have a complete system to manage roles with permissions down to the nitty gritty such as sending messages, posting shouts, forum posts etc. While Laravel has spatie's laravel-permissions package to make it just a tiny bit easier, It's still a pain in the arse to manually define each and every permission, then assign them to roles, and all of that fun stuff.

But I'd also have to agree with form submission / validation.

1 hour ago, Hare said:

Agreeing that form submission / validation  and forum are tedious.

Though the worst for me is CSS and layout compatibility/responsiveness... having to test out how it looks on all different devices, browsers, get t all perfectly balanced to any screen size and still look good.

/me shudders - yeah CSS and it's finickiness is not my favourite thing in the world.  Takes way too much time to get "right", and even that is subjective.  This is why I normally focus on the backend stuff :P

27 minutes ago, ShadowMage said:

I am very particular with how a website works, so I feel the need to have a complete system to manage roles with permissions down to the nitty gritty such as sending messages, posting shouts, forum posts etc. While Laravel has spatie's laravel-permissions package to make it just a tiny bit easier, It's still a pain in the arse to manually define each and every permission, then assign them to roles, and all of that fun stuff.

But I'd also have to agree with form submission / validation.

@ShadowMage I have never heard of that package until now! Is it a lot more useful than just using straight gates/policies?

22 minutes ago, GeekGirl said:

One word. REGEXP.

So much power ... but then so much ability to have one character screw it up entirely :P https://rubular.com/ has helped me through the years of regex.

@judda The package adds the the ability to add permissions to roles and users themselves through a call to the user object such as $user->givePermissionTo('edit profile'); or, $user->assignRole('Premium'); Like other packages (I assume. Only used this and zizaco/entrust), all permissions are registered to laravel's gate so you can use the native $user->can('do this permission') function or the blade directive for it.

Here is the documentation for the package as well