Exabyss (open alpha)

DaRule

exabyss.png.2d1a4e2c057435ad34e937fc439b3003.png

My husband and I have been working on a new pet game called Exabyss (url: https://www.exabyss.com/) for the past year or so. The game is currently in open alpha!

As a citizen of Sanctum, the last bastion for human life, you have enlisted as an explorer. The Abyss is a vast and mysterious ecosystem that appeared as a precursor to the apocalypse. Scientific advancements have led to the discovery that, through a soul pact ritual, it is possible to tame the wild and violent creatures within the Abyss. Use the power of the abyssians to battle your way through its depths and uncover the truth about the apocalypse.

Edited by DaRule
  • Like 3

On 11/13/2019 at 12:35 PM, Mobotropolis said:

This looks interesting from the screenshot. 

Mind telling us a bit more about the gameplay? 

Thanks for the interest! The gameplay loop will be you assembling a team of 3 pets, and exploring different areas of the world. It will be a tactical RPG where each pet will have a unique set of abilities and elemental rock-paper-scissors style fighting. Still doing a lot of planning in this area, so it is not fully defined, and just getting back to it after a few months hiatus.

Edited by DaRule

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Tinkerbell said:

This looks amazing! RPGs are not usually my thing but the layout, the concept (even the fight style) - I enjoy it. The home page makes me think of Subnautica (only due to it being in water) and I like the feeling that gives me. Cannot wait for open alpha!

Thank you so much for the positive feedback! We have been going at it over the past year+, so we are excited to finally present what we have been working on!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tinkerbell said:

That is impressive! The design looks to me like this may  be very mobile friendly, is that an accurate assessment? I could see myself playing this from my phone while away doing errands.

First of all, thank you for the compliments! The game is designed with mobile-first in mind, so that is an accurate assessment. It is meant to be played casually, not take a huge chunk out of your day.

• 2 weeks later...

Only 7 days left until our open alpha!

We have been focusing hard on polishing the game, fixing bugs, and even starting work on some post-alpha content (which has net-new features not in the game yet).

Please keep in mind that what you will see in the alpha is only scratching the surface of what we are trying to accomplish.

Edited by DaRule

• 2 weeks later...

gabba_war.png

We have added the first infestation challenge, Gabba War! Challenges are much more difficult than regular explorations, so make sure you are prepared. Winning this exploration will give you a very special reward!

Note: To unlock this, you will need to have previously cleared the Alpha 3-3 exploration.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Haven't updated this in a while, so here is a list of new updates:

-Music has been added to the game

-Sound effects have been added to the game

-Began development of cutscene system

-Minor graphical improvements to the battle system

Edited by DaRule

It's been a while since we posted updates, so we thought we would let you all know that things are proceeding as planned.

With the exception of the battle system, we have fully implemented music and sound effects into the game. The positive impacts of these are a lot bigger than we thought they would be and it really helped define the feel for the game, especially the music. There is more coming, but for starters you can hear our overture on the login screen, and our menu music everywhere else.

When it comes to the avatar system, we have added many more choices you can choose from, as well as a secondary hair color option to add even more uniqueness to your avatar. We are looking forward to see everyone's personal avatar! And of course, we will be adding more as time goes on.

Battling has received some updates to make it a little bit more flashy, such as the whole screen shaking when your pet has a critical attack. There is more being planned out from this perspective that we will be implementing as time allows.

From a story perspective, we have been working on defining the main characters in the story, planning out general guidelines of where we want to go, and implementing a cutscene engine.

There is still much work to do, but rest assured that we are making progress. We look forward to seeing you all during our beta phase!

New updates:

Passive Skills
---
-All creatures now have passive skills that unlock up until level 20. These can be viewed on the skills section of your pet.

Battle Controls
---
-Attack and healing skills now binded to 1-3 keys.
-End turn skill now binded to X and 0 keys.
-Switching targets now binded to Q and E keys.
-Executing an attack now binded to ENTER key.

07/03/2020 Update Notes
-Battle music has been added to the game
-FAQ section added detailing elemental strengths and weaknesses.
-Skill attack grids have been added to the individual pet pages.
-Sign up page now has a space to put who referred you. More details regarding the referral system will be announced in the coming days as it is implemented.

• 2 weeks later...