MySmallix: Entering Development

Virgil One

launch.thumb.jpg.c8325376beb55fe5daae42ece537da1d.jpg

My Smallix is now entering serious development. Updates are posted once a week on facebook

Hi Everyone, my name is Virgil One and I would love to share with you, MySmallix, a semi pet simulation criss-crossed with role playing elements. In My Smallix there exists 2 types of creatures, the smallix and ordinary livestock. The objective of the game is to bring balance back to the various forests which produce insufficient vegetation. You will use your 1st smallix creature to recruit livestock in the wild to get the livestock to perform tasks in the various forests. As you perform different tasks with your smallix and command the livestock, your smallix will grow and develop different features.

Creature - lifecycle -- where you start

Spoiler

1039501841_cocoonpull_down01.thumb.gif.f1ac61a161df25f74ed7320a7a8d810d.gif

Sooo....much...effort...to do so little.....

Spoiler

673135060_cocooncrawl01.thumb.gif.3e0b92db04043aac3a08ae9be6c8cd0f.gif

Some smallix creature proto-types

Spoiler

concepts.thumb.jpg.642a6864e2b93739df33bade2e1f340b.jpg

The game play perspective --- when it slowly comes together

Spoiler

level.thumb.jpg.14ceb68bbc1434b0f27de8b2dc3da720.jpg

MySmallix does have a full story line but rather then share it here, it would be best for me to save that as a surprise for you.  The story is actually in novel form and some parts are rough around the edges, however the core aspects have been fleshed out for us to develop the game around the story.

Platform wise, MySmallix will be fully playable on your mobile phone, however it is equally designed to play on your laptop/pc's web browser. The game is served over a webpage for the phone and pc and lots of care is being put into the interactivity aspect.

When will this project go into beta?

Truth be told, I am unsure. As of the day of this post, there's 2 core mechanics that I am still fleshing out. To not set the wrong expectation, I don't want to share the detail of what those mechanics are suppose to do but I am still in the process of experimenting with them. I need to ensure there's enough game to play. So that factors in when I'll have some type of game for someone to beta test.

Secondly the artwork for the various components of the game are not complete. Environment assets are being worked on, smallix and livestock creatures are being worked on and hopefully in 6 weeks character art can be further produced. The core characters in the story have been sketched & designed but a lot more work needs to go in for the vision that I have and so this impacts the release.

Tell me more about pet characteristics

I'll just come out and say it but there is no breeding in this game. This game will focus more around what your pet eats and leveraging its skills to grow and evolve. The abilities and skills attained from evolution will serve various purposes towards performing actions to restore the environment. Smallix creatures do develop to a point where they have full combat capabilities but this is not the core aspect of the game play. So defeating other creatures is one of the things you get to do but not the focus.

Livestock will serve other functions which is still being fleshed out.

The goal will be you taking a journey with this pet and you being responsible for developing its abilities which maybe functional or social. You also go on the journey of managing various livestock and other smallix creatures.

Additional Info

After answering a few questions, it has completely alluded me that I never made any mention to some of the social aspects included in MySmallix. I have always been a strong advocate of games that incorporate nurturing of  communities and social activities within games. I don't want to oversell the features we plan to put in place, rather once it's fully functional and the beta hits, it will make more sense for you to see how the social and community aspects which we put into the game fit into everything else. I know this is a bland answer but it's moreso me ensuring that we don't oversell our ideas to you so that you walk into this with a fresh perspective. Rest assured since this game is online players will be able to interact with each other to some capacity. My job with my team is to ensure that we provide the platform where this interaction is fun and compelling with the proper safe guards.

Also, I wanted to share some small thoughts about my approach towards the beta. The fact of the matter is, there are tons of games out there which you could choose from. The fact that you would want to give our game a shot considering there's thousands upon thousands of amazing games out there is of tremendous importance to us. Development has started and beta is nowhere in sight but our team is building the beta around the methodology that any achievement earned by a tester at any stage of the beta will not be lost or wiped but kept for the duration of the game. I've personally experienced beta's where accounts get reset to 0 and I hate it. As a developer now myself I won't waste your time. Helping me fix my game is an effort on your part. The fact that I would wipe out your progress whether bugs occur and cause oddities, is not a part of the principles of our team, everyone's time nowadays is valuable and we refuse to take your time for granted because we know we don't want our time taken for granted. With that said, the beta is going to be broken down into 6 phases where phase 6 will represent a true beta where we open things up more to the public. With each beta, different game play components will be introduced. These are not large aspects to the game play but they should add a new dimension to the game.

The game does feature a story which is carved to the side but drives the entire game. You can play straight through without ever fully knowing any of the story, but we will release the story in comic form in a piece meal fashion. For the beta, the goal is to take some of the comic issues (which are about 29-30 pages) and condence them to about 3-4 pages in comic form. If you want to check it out you can, its short and sweet or you can not check it out at all. The story we have drives the game mechanics, the creature abilities and the tasks you must fulfill when you play so we had no choice but to flesh out the story. It turns out we loved the story so much and fell in love with the characters that we simply had to do a full blown comic. With all that said, it wouldn't be fair for me to not give you guys a sneak peak at our characters and what's in store, so here are some more spoilers:

Character Roster

Spoiler

base.thumb.jpg.625b62d3931dbe4f0e2c396d1faacd83.jpg

Comic Action Snippets

page1.thumb.jpg.8a1f839415a8040250b85a3ab7a92d8e.jpg

page5.thumb.jpg.921ad30bc7de527cb3bf08d4f6688555.jpg

page6.thumb.jpg.4b8615be18462aa3dfecadba1d95312b.jpg

Last thoughts

Feel free to ask me any questions to your hearts content, I know I've left a lot out and I didn't want to ramble. I am the owner & developer of this game.

Edited by Virgil One
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, StrayPup said:

Is there any specific list we can get on to be considered for beta?
Project looks great!

Thank you very much for being interested! It's going to be another 6-7 weeks before we have a website up to have people apply for the beta. What I do want you to know is a lot of consideration is going into this because we don't want to lead anyone on. We are already in the process of building a beta time-line and our beta will be broken into 6-phases and personally as a fan of many games myself, disappointment is truly the last thing I want for any fan. I will be pro-active on TheGameList and once we put a sign-up list I will notify you.

2 hours ago, Cybura said:

Oho! Looking good! Can't wait to see more from this! :D

So to avoid spamming TheGameList and make myself feel like a broken record, I won't be posting every weekly update that the project makes, however on facebook, I have begun to do weekly updates (they are small but show what we have going on, you can keep up there). Monumental progress will possibly be put on The Gaming List to share.