Action 52 project

I feel compelled after looking through the videos of the game that well, I want to create my own action 52 like game. I know it will be hard but I like to work with a good team of programmers. It be one of my dream games. yet I feel its more important for me to kind of learn the basics. I like to start out with a coin flip game if possible to learn how to design a good engine. It might be a while before I realize this dream. Can someone help me build a coin based game together in java or c++?

This will take time out of the day, but I feel I learn better with someone's help especially since I am just getting started.

Action 52 is a Videogame Multicart that is infamous for the (poor) quality of its games.

I'm not particularly strong in Java or C++ but I do know JavaScript and Programming Theory ... 

... so I Threw Something Together in Construct, an HTML5/JavaScript Game Engine I learned. It's rough around the edges, but works from a technical perspective. It took about two hours start-to-finish yesterday. 

Bonus Round: The Hardest Parts were ... 

• Odd Results with attempting to flip a coin. It either always won or always lost. I got around it by rolling a six sided dice in the background and assigning Even to Heads/Win and Odd to Tails/Lose. 
  • Score Misadventures. At first, it was rewarding plays an infinite amount of points in a matter of seconds for winning. After I resolved that I had to figure out how to calculate the score. I made a variable and event that looks up the old score and passes through the new score with a simple calculation. 

While I have the paid version I didn't use any of the Premium Features building this. Construct 3 is free with restriction for personal use and this has under 100 Events so I can send you the CAPX/source if you're interested in learning how this works.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 9:15 PM, Martyn said:

@Boltgreywing
Apologies if I should already know this (I'm probably dumb, lmao), but what is an Action 52 type of game? I've honestly never heard that term before so it's pretty new to me to see someone coin it.

@Martyn: Its okay. Action 52 is a collection of bad games that premiered on the Nintendo Entertainment System Console. It had glitches, bad collision detection, walls which you only had a fraction of a second to avoid. Games that crash, that sort of thing.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:29 AM, Mobotropolis said:

Action 52 is a Videogame Multicart that is infamous for the (poor) quality of its games.

I'm not particularly strong in Java or C++ but I do know JavaScript and Programming Theory ... 

... so I Threw Something Together in Construct, an HTML5/JavaScript Game Engine I learned. It's rough around the edges, but works from a technical perspective. It took about two hours start-to-finish yesterday. 

Bonus Round: The Hardest Parts were ... 

• Odd Results with attempting to flip a coin. It either always won or always lost. I got around it by rolling a six sided dice in the background and assigning Even to Heads/Win and Odd to Tails/Lose. 
  • Score Misadventures. At first, it was rewarding plays an infinite amount of points in a matter of seconds for winning. After I resolved that I had to figure out how to calculate the score. I made a variable and event that looks up the old score and passes through the new score with a simple calculation. 

While I have the paid version I didn't use any of the Premium Features building this. Construct 3 is free with restriction for personal use and this has under 100 Events so I can send you the CAPX/source if you're interested in learning how this works.

@Mobotropolis: I am considering trying to implement this sort of game in java. I want it to take in points from User A through Ruby on Rails and pass it into java and then store the results of the game back into the user's pouch after he exits the game. On top of that to eventually draw graphics to the screen. I am guessing using a six sided dice is far more balanced than flipping between 1 and 0. The program that you just showed me is exactly what I am looking into doing, just I haven't figured out how to do this with java. I am planning on using spritesheets and a currency of Scillidons. Scillidons are the gambling currency for arcade games and card games for my site.

Edited by Boltgreywing