Share some of your writing

Digital

6 minutes ago, kami said:

I wrote a book :'D Haha. Here's a snippet from it. Currently working on my second novel, but nothing worthwhile to share for it yet.

This is an older short of mine about a pair surviving in a post-apocalyptic world. It has some flaws, but the perspective was a fun one to write in :D I'm still generally pleased with it.

Great reads, both of them! I love how you frame the scene around the characters and the small actions that they make.

5 minutes ago, kami said:

Thanks so much! :D Glad you enjoyed them ^^ Do you write much yourself?

Outside of the pet descriptions here, and a few others that I have written for my on-hold game, not very much in terms of creative writing. I write a lot for work, but unless your a business analyst or a systems designer or engineer most of it is technical nonsense. So rarely do I get to do creative writing.

Here are a few snippets from the species descriptions of my on-hold game:

“To see the flowing grace of the Sakana, is to feel time slow and your own life flash before your eyes.” - Encyclopedia of Arche, note on Sakana’s graceful movements.

The oceans of Arche are home to this very beautiful and elusive creature. Sakana’s are creatures of pure luck, born of water and as graceful as the wind - they swim with unmatched grace and fluidity.

The heart of a Sakana is driven by a determination to see the good in all things. This optimism allows Sakana to see the beauty in even the most ugliest of things or events. Social creatures, you will find Sakana living in large communities, composed of a strict matriarchal society. They are often wary of outsiders, and earning the trust of a single Sakana is quite a challenge, and to fit into their underwater societies can take lifetimes.

“The Lyion is a creature of majestic raw power. When in the presence of a Lyion, one cannot help but to feel in awe of the raw power and fiery determination that this creature emanates.” - Safari Journal

Lyion’s hail from the arid plains of Arche. They are forged in fire, and tempered by earth that is much like the grasslands that they rule over. Always majestic and direct, a Lyion is a fierce powerful ally to have.

Known to travel in groups they call Prides, they work together and live very nomadic lives. These creatures defend their territories with a vigor that burns like a thousand fires, and they don’t forget or forgive any outsider that trespasses on their invitations.

Chiming in to say I like the way you described the animals @Digital- especially these sentences: 

They are forged in fire, and tempered by earth that is much like the grasslands that they rule over

They are often wary of outsiders, and earning the trust of a single Sakana is quite a challenge, and to fit into their underwater societies can take lifetimes.

As for myself, I'm working on a book, and here's the first few paragraphs of it. I'm doing my third re-write of the manuscript and it's super slow going :c 

A maglev train speeds over my head, drenching me in rainwater from its tracks. Though the rain cascades down the sides of the rails onto my thin clothes, I don’t shiver. The coldness from the water doesn’t bother me as much as the stench waffling from the streets – the smell of soaked garbage baking in sweltering heat makes my stomach turn. 

There’s nothing inside my knapsack to weigh it down when I hoist it over my shoulders. I dangle my legs over the rooftop of my building and take one last look at the trains before descending from my perch. My hands and feet pass each groove with ease. I’m guided by thousands of climbs, so I reach the ground in minutes.

Some days I’ll watch the sun rise from this rooftop. Other days I’ll come by after a day of scavenging and pick-pocketing on the streets to watch the stars rise. On those days, my sore feet will be propped over the ledge, and I’ll lean back and enjoy my solitude in the comfort of darkness. But today I’m doing neither.

It’s Errand Day and I’ve got business in the city.

Edited by Cadence

5 hours ago, Cadence said:

As for myself, I'm working on a book, and here's the first few paragraphs of it. I'm doing my third re-write of the manuscript and it's super slow going :c 

That was very well written!

For the two above the idea was to provide this sense of fantastical discovery in the descriptions. Kinda the feeling you got when you read say.. the Harry Potter books and they describe a creature. Very technical yet fantastical.

On 4/8/2017 at 4:42 AM, Cadence said:

It sounds good so far! Very interesting :D Best of luck getting through it! Rewriting can be tough xo But once you're through it, you have yourself a book! :D 

On 4/8/2017 at 7:23 AM, Digital said:

That was very well written!

For the two above the idea was to provide this sense of fantastical discovery in the descriptions. Kinda the feeling you got when you read say.. the Harry Potter books and they describe a creature. Very technical yet fantastical.

Yessss I got that vibe from your descriptions! It reminds me of the Fantastic Beasts book. Or the "dragonology" books. :)

On 4/10/2017 at 9:10 AM, kami said:

It sounds good so far! Very interesting :D Best of luck getting through it! Rewriting can be tough xo But once you're through it, you have yourself a book! :D 

Thank you! I still have yet to read your book - it's on my to read list! I'll get around to it haha. :) And yes, I look forward to having a book. I'm a pretty awful critic and I over edit so much if I'm not careful. How's your second book coming along? I've started another book that I work on in between editing my current one, and it's a retelling of Alice in Wonderland set in the modern-near future Earth :)

On 4/11/2017 at 6:14 PM, Cadence said:

Thank you! I still have yet to read your book - it's on my to read list! I'll get around to it haha. :) And yes, I look forward to having a book. I'm a pretty awful critic and I over edit so much if I'm not careful. How's your second book coming along? I've started another book that I work on in between editing my current one, and it's a retelling of Alice in Wonderland set in the modern-near future Earth :)

No worries, haha. I think I found it helpful to send it out to friends or family for outside crits. Some parts I had a problem with, people actually liked, which gave me a new perspective on it. (Also goes the other way around, unfortunately, haha! Things I liked didn't go over well with others x'D) Could also give you a nice break from editing it yourself, since that can make a difference too. Working on something for too long can make you miss things.

Second book is going slow, but still going! I just have so many other projects taking priority, I'm sure you know what that's like XD That one sounds interesting though! Always neat to see modern retellings of the classics ;D